CBS 3 Springfield viewer pays it forward to a man in need - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

CBS 3 Springfield viewer pays it forward to a man in need

SPRINGFIELD, MA (WSHM) -

We first introduced you to Springfield resident Milton Forbes two weeks ago as he stood on the steps of City Hall fighting back tears at the thought of losing his home.

Forbes owed thousands in back taxes on his Wellington Street home he's owned for 37 years.

The city told him he could pay back a quarter of what he owed.

But as a single father raising a 13-year-old and battling numerous disabilities, Forbes fell behind on those payments.

"It was so hard," said Forbes.

With nowhere to go, he said he had nightmares.

"I couldn't sleep at night. I was very scared," he said.

Scared he and his son, Nicholai would be forced to live on the streets.

"My son kept saying, 'daddy pray, pray daddy,'" said Forbes.

And he prayed, until those nightmares ended when a woman from Maryland saw Forbes' call for help here on CBS 3 Springfield.

Her name is Linda and wishes to remain anonymous. She vacations in Northampton for the summer.

She told us she couldn't forget the image of that man wiping away tears on the steps of City Hall.

"I couldn't go to bed. I kept thinking about this fellow and how could you just see that and just go to bed?" said Linda.

She said she knew she had to do something.

"I called your station to find more about him," she continued.

When Linda learned Forbes hadn't lost his home yet, she offered to lend a helping hand to a total stranger.

She dipped in to her Social Security savings and wrote a check that allowed Forbes to remain on the payment plan and keep his home.

Linda said she'll never forget the day she presented her donation to Forbes.

"He broke into tears. It was just touching," said Linda.

"I started it cry. It felt like my body had a makeover," said Forbes.

Tax collector for the City of Springfield, Stephen Lonergan, said he's never seen this kind of generosity before.

"It's really a nice testimony of the good of people in the world," said Lonergan.

Linda said there was a time when she was walking in Forbes' shoes and needed help herself.

"I had times when I didn't have any money. When I thought I was going lose my house and I had a son in middle school. That was a nightmare. I could just see me in him," said Linda.

Now because of Linda, Milton Forbes doesn't have those nightmares anymore. Instead of dreading losing his house, at night he thinks of the person that changed his life.

"I thank you for helping me. God sent you for a purpose to help me, and you're always going to be in my heart," said Forbes.

Copyright 2013 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

• Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

iPhone users warned about dangerous new 'Hey, Siri 108' prank

Thursday, March 23 2017 6:04 AM EDT2017-03-23 10:04:53 GMT
    Thursday, March 23 2017 7:41 AM EDT2017-03-23 11:41:48 GMT
    Source: MeredithSource: Meredith

Police departments across the country are warning iPhone users to never ask Siri to dial 108.

East Longmeadow officials trying to save piece of history

Wednesday, March 22 2017 5:32 PM EDT2017-03-22 21:32:11 GMT
    Wednesday, March 22 2017 5:32 PM EDT2017-03-22 21:32:11 GMT
    (Western Mass News photo)(Western Mass News photo)

The fate of an iconic landmark in one western Massachusetts town is in jeapordy.    The old train depot in East Longmeadow near the center of town is a very familiar sight to residents.  Built in 1876, it's image even adorns the town seal.   However, the fate of the land it sits on is up in the air, and so is the future of the depot.

Mother comes forward after baby's body found in reservoir

Thursday, March 23 2017 9:57 AM EDT2017-03-23 13:57:23 GMT
    Thursday, March 23 2017 4:19 PM EDT2017-03-23 20:19:37 GMT
    A baby's body was found in a bag along a reservoir in Harwinton, according to state police. (WFSB photo)A baby's body was found in a bag along a reservoir in Harwinton, according to state police. (WFSB photo)

State police said they've identified the mother of a baby whose body was found in a reservoir in Harwinton.