Saturday, August 23 2014 12:33 AM EDT2014-08-23 04:33:44 GMT
Montgomery police say they are initiating a death investigation following a shooting in north Montgomery Thursday afternoon.More >>
A man wanted for murder in North Montgomery turned himself in Friday. The victim's mother says he had threatened violence to her son before but that it didn't have to end in tragedy. She spoke to WSFA 12 News about what happened and she has a message for those who choose violence as a method to solve disputes. More >>
Saturday, August 23 2014 12:01 AM EDT2014-08-23 04:01:23 GMT
A Wetumpka mother is sounding off after she says her child was abused at day care. The mother says the sad part is her toddler daughter has Down's Syndrome and can't tell her what's going on. This motherMore >>
A Wetumpka mother is sounding off after she says her child was abused at day care.More >>
Friday, August 22 2014 11:35 PM EDT2014-08-23 03:35:14 GMT
The streets of Ferguson have been peaceful for another night, as protests and tensions have been subsiding in the St. Louis suburb where unrest had erupted for several nights after a white police officer fatally...More >>
Conditions calmed this week in Ferguson after nights of sometimes violent unrest stemming from the fatal shooting of a black 18-year-old by a white police officer. But a delicate and crucial question lingers: What happens...More >>
TEXARKANA, TX (KSLA) -
Fourth of July celebrations ended tragically for a Bowie County family Thursday night. Liberty Eylau firefighters say they believe fireworks are to blame for a house fire that killed a man and injured his wife.
Firefighters say the fire broke out just before 12 a.m. at a home on the 100 block of Douglas Street.
"I told them to get their phone and call 9-1-1," says Braydon Anderson, a 7-year-old witness to the fire.
Braydon was first to notice his neighbor's house burning.
"I was hearing fireworks and I saw orange out the window, and I looked out the window and I saw a fire."
Steven Lawrence, 60, was not able to make it out of the burning home. His wife, Katherine, made it to the front yard but could not get over a 6-foot fence. The heat from the blaze prevented neighbors from helping.
Kim Cheramie was one of the neighbors who tried to help.
"I feel like my face is burnt because of the intensity of the heat from the house."
Bowie County Sheriff's deputies arrived at the scene and pulled Katherine over the fence. She was taken to a Texarkana hospital for treatment of injuries she suffered during the fire.
The deputies tried to go through a window to rescue Lawrence but was not successful. The couple's son told investigators that, in an effort to clean the property, he had put used fireworks in a trash can, and somehow that can ignited.
Liberty Eylau Fire Chief David Weslehoff calls that a good idea but added, "Always keep a waterhose around when you are discharging fireworks. And always when you get through with your rubbish and debris, soak it in a bucket of water or pour water over it before putting it in trash can."
Three vehicles and a storage building was also damaged, but neighbors say the loss of life is what they will remember.
"He was a real good neighbor," Judy Anderson says.
This was one of six fires in Bowie County related to fireworks during the holiday.