Help Available for Farmers

Farmers in the counties listed below may be eligible for Farm Service Agency "low-interest emergency loans, provided eligibility requirements are met."

Emergency loans may be made to farmers and ranchers who:

  • Own or operate land located in a county declared by the President as a disaster area or designated by the Secretary of Agriculture as a disaster area or quarantine area (for physical losses only, the FSA Administrator may authorize emergency loan assistance);
  • Are established family farm operators and have sufficient farming or ranching experience;
  • Are citizens or permanent residents of the United States;
  • Have suffered at least a 30% loss in crop production or a physical loss to livestock, livestock products, real estate, or chattel property;
  • Have an acceptable credit history;
  • Are unable to receive credit from commercial sources;
  • Can provide collateral to secure the loan; and
  • Have repayment ability

In addition the following requirements must be met

  • Borrowers must keep acceptable farm records;
  • Borrowers must operate in accordance with a farm plan they develop and agree to with local FSA staff; and
  • Borrowers may be required to participate in a financial management training program and obtain crop insurance

Farmers have until the termination date to apply to help cover part of their actual losses. FSA considers each loan application on its own merits, taking into account the extent of losses, security available and repayment ability.

Designation Number:  M1549
Approval Date:  09/15/2004
Beginning Date of Disaster:  09/13/2004
Ending Date of Disaster: Continuing
Termination Date:  05/16/2005
Description: Hurricane Ivan

Counties affected:

Primary:  Baldwin, Butler, Clarke, Coffee, Conecuh, Covington, Crenshaw, Escambia, Geneva, Mobile, Monroe, Washington

Contiguous:  Choctaw, Dale, Houston, Lowndes, Marengo, Montgomery, Pike, Wilcox

For information on FSA offices in your county go to

The FSA State Office is located at 4121 Carmichael Road in Montgomery, telephone (334)279-3400.

Form more information about emergency loans visit to

Information provided by the FSA and USDA