Four Pelham police officers were admitted to the hospital after being exposed to fumes while breaking up a meth lab.
The officers were serving a juvenile pick up order at the Oak Mountain Lodge on Pelham Parkway around 6:08 p.m. Monday when they made contact with four people inside a hotel room.
While the officers were identifying the occupants, fumes started to spread into the hotel room from the bathroom. Police found an active meth lab in the bathroom and immediately took the four people into custody and evacuated the room and all of the surrounding rooms as a precaution.
Haz-Mat units from Pelham and Alabaster fire departments decontaminated the police officers and the four others who were exposed to the meth lab. Three of the officers became ill from the fumes around 6:30 p.m. and a fourth officer became ill around 8 p.m., according to Pelham Police Lt. David Rushton.
All four of the police officers were taken to Brookwood Medical Center to be treated for chemical exposure. They were released from the hospital around 10:30 p.m. Monday.
A K-9 officer wwas held overnight at a veterinary clinic after also being exposed to the chemical fumes.
Police say several suspects are in custody and while they remain concerned for their colleagues, they are thankful the situation wasn't worse.
"Any time you have an officer injured, it's intense," Sgt. Steven Johnson said. "It was handled and everyone did their job."
Investigators from the Shelby County Drug Enforcement Task Force removed the meth lab from the hotel room. The case is still under investigation and criminal charges are expected.
Copyright 2013 WBRC. All rights reserved.