Woman's dreams of flying have taken her to great heights - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Woman's dreams of flying have taken her to great heights

GARDNER, KS (KCTV) -

What started out as another routine flight for Michele Stauffer could have ended badly when the plane's landing gear didn't work. But Stauffer calmly was able to land the plane safely on its belly and, months later, still thinks about the moments.

On April 25, 2013, she and a co-pilot were on their way to a meeting when Stauffer noticed the landing gear wouldn't go down. She tried everything she could think of. Her co-pilot read everything in the manual. They even called five mechanics as they circled the skies over Johnson County.

After burning some fuel, Stauffer attempted to do something she had never done before: land a plane without landing gear. It worked and the plane landed safely on its belly at New Century Airport.

For Stauffer, it's just another significant accomplishment in a long, successful career.

It's been that way since her early 20s when a chance flight over Alaska took her breath away. She decided to get her pilot's license, passing the written test by one point.

"I was so fired up that I had passed my written test that I went out to the airport and took a lesson in a Cessna 150, a 30-minute lesson," she recalled.

There were some in her family who thought she should have a "real job." But she always had the support of her mother.

"My mom encouraged me a great deal. She said I could do anything I set my mind to. She was way ahead of her time. Neighbors would say, 'You're not really going to let Michele fly are you?' And she would say, 'Leave the girl alone, she's doing what she wants to do,'" she said.

Stauffer's love of flying led to a career in aircraft sales. Despite it being mostly men, in 1990 she founded Kansas City Turbine Aircraft Sales. Three years later, she purchased Kansas Aircraft Corporation. One memorable client was actor Christopher Reeve.

Business was good, though it took some time for men to get that Stauffer has thousands of flying hours and knows each and every aircraft she sells.

"I'll be working late and it's kind of funny because you'll get somebody, a guy from California calling because it's only 5 o'clock and I'll answer the phone ‘Kansas Aircraft,' and they'll say, 'Well, is there a salesman still around?' I'll say, 'They've all gone home, but I might be able to help you,'" she laughed.

In 1993, Stauffer got an invitation of a lifetime. She had the opportunity to fly a Russian SU-27 tactical jet fighter. After some convincing by a mentor, she agreed. In doing so, she became the first American woman to fly such a plane and break the sound barrier at the same time.

"It was a real experience," she said.

In her personal time, Stauffer flies for Angel Flight, transporting hospital patients to other cities or other charitable needs. On one flight, a mother and cancer patient touched her deeply.

"And I asked her, 'Melody, how was your treatment?' Because what are you going to say? And she said, 'Oh Michele, it may not help me, but I hope it helps someone else.' It's the people I've met who have given me far more than I have given," Stauffer said.

These days, Stauffer has turned the reins over to a local couple and is helping them with the transition to ownership. Down the road, she hopes to return to Alaska, with no regrets for a career well spent - buying, selling, helping and flying.

"I've been blessed. I still love to meet the people and I love to get in an airplane and fly," she said.

Stauffer has flown more than 250 trips for Angel Flight. In 2006, she was named National Pilot of the Year by the foundation.

Copyright 2013 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.

Jury recommends $25M in Johnson & Johnson lawsuit

Thursday, May 24 2018 4:42 PM EDT2018-05-24 20:42:21 GMT
    Saturday, May 26 2018 8:15 AM EDT2018-05-26 12:15:27 GMT
    Johnson & Johnson said it's disappointed in the decision and will appeal. (Source: AP Photo/Tony Dejak)Johnson & Johnson said it's disappointed in the decision and will appeal. (Source: AP Photo/Tony Dejak)

A Southern California jury has ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay more than $25 million to a woman who claimed in a lawsuit that she developed cancer by using the company's talc-based baby powder.

Seoul: North Korea committed to US summit, denuclearization

Saturday, May 26 2018 9:23 PM EDT2018-05-27 01:23:54 GMT
    Sunday, May 27 2018 3:07 AM EDT2018-05-27 07:07:39 GMT
    (South Korea Presidential Blue House/Yonhap via AP). In this May 26, 2018 photo provided on May 27, 2018, by South Korea Presidential Blue House via Yonhap News Agency, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, center left, and South Korean President Moon Jae-i...(South Korea Presidential Blue House/Yonhap via AP). In this May 26, 2018 photo provided on May 27, 2018, by South Korea Presidential Blue House via Yonhap News Agency, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, center left, and South Korean President Moon Jae-i...

At the White House, President Trump said negotiations over a potential June 12 summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un that he had earlier canceled are "going along very well."

More LGBT issues loom as justices near wedding cake decision

Saturday, May 26 2018 9:33 AM EDT2018-05-26 13:33:35 GMT
    Sunday, May 27 2018 3:06 AM EDT2018-05-27 07:06:58 GMT
    (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite, File). FILE - In this Oct. 10, 2017, file photo, the Supreme Court in Washington is seen at sunset. A flood of lawsuits over LGBT rights is making its way through the courts and will continue, no matter the outcome in the...(AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite, File). FILE - In this Oct. 10, 2017, file photo, the Supreme Court in Washington is seen at sunset. A flood of lawsuits over LGBT rights is making its way through the courts and will continue, no matter the outcome in the...

A flood of lawsuits over LGBT rights is making its way through courts and that'll continue, no matter what the Supreme Court decides in the case of a baker who wouldn't create a wedding cake for a same-sex couple.