The following information is being provided by the American Red Cross
While the fierceness of Hurricane Ivan’s winds and rain are over, we are still left with many issues:
1. Begin by assessing your home:
- Is it safe and secure?
- Check inside, outside and foundation
- Are utilities off?
- What is damaged?
- What can be saved?
- What can be cleaned?
- Can you stay in your home?
- Can you cook and store food safely.
2. Identify your available resources:
- Call your insurance agent
- Call your landlord or property manager
- Check with friends and family in the area for possible immediate help.
3. If you cannot stay in your home:
- Pack a few changes of clothing, bedding, essential medications and toiletries.
- Kennel your pets or take them to a safe place.
- Arrange to stay with family, friends, or in a recovery shelter.
- Contact family members to let them know where you are and that you are OK.
- Call the Red Cross at 1-866-GET-INFO to find the nearest shelter location.
4. If your home is destroyed or has suffered major damage:
- Roof off
- Foundation damaged
- Walls, ceilings, floors damaged
- Essential personal property un-usable And you need help right now, Call the Red Cross at 1-866-GET-INFO and speak with a disaster recovery worker to discuss your immediate needs.
5. If you can stay in your home but cannot cook:
- Meals are available at Red Cross shelters or through mobile feeding vehicles traveling through the disaster area. Call the Red Cross at 1-866-GET-INFO to find the nearest shelter or other feeding site.
6. If your ONLY loss is food that was in your refrigerator or freezer while power was out and you require support during the emergency: The American Red Cross will have mobile feeding vehicles in the disaster area to provide emergency food; or call the Red Cross at 1-866-GET-INFO to find the location of other community resources. In Montgomery , call 211. Hearing Impaired? TDD 1-800-526-1417