The following information is being provided by the American Red Cross
While the fierceness of Hurricane Ivan's winds and rain are over, we are still left with many issues:
1. Begin by assessing your home:
- Is it safe and secure?
- Check inside, outside and foundation
- Are utilities off?
- What is damaged?
- What can be saved?
- What can be cleaned?
- Can you stay in your home?
- Can you cook and store food safely.
2. Identify your available resources:
- Call your insurance agent
- Call your landlord or property manager
- Check with friends and family in the area for possible immediate help.
3. If you cannot stay in your home:
- Pack a few changes of clothing, bedding, essential medications and toiletries.
- Kennel your pets or take them to a safe place.
- Arrange to stay with family, friends, or in a recovery shelter.
- Contact family members to let them know where you are and that you are OK.
- Call the Red Cross at 1-866-GET-INFO to find the nearest shelter location.
4. If your home is destroyed or has suffered major damage:
- Roof off
- Foundation damaged
- Walls, ceilings, floors damaged
- Essential personal property un-usable And you need help right now, Call the Red Cross at 1-866-GET-INFO and speak with a disaster recovery worker to discuss your immediate needs.
5. If you can stay in your home but cannot cook:
- Meals are available at Red Cross shelters or through mobile feeding vehicles traveling through the disaster area. Call the Red Cross at 1-866-GET-INFO to find the nearest shelter or other feeding site.