$3.7 million approved by state to rebuild new Sandy Hook School - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

$3.7 million approved by state to rebuild new Sandy Hook School

NEWTOWN, CT (WFSB) -

The Connecticut State Bond Commission approved $3.7 million Friday morning, which will be used to help build a replacement for Sandy Hook Elementary School.

On May 10, a Newtown panel recommended tearing down Sandy Hook Elementary School and rebuilding a new school on the same site.

The new address for the school will be 12 Riverside Dr. with the old road being turned into a gravel access road and decommissioned.

Earlier this week, Gov. Dannel P. Malloy said he pledged his full spport toward the project.

"Healing from an enormous tragedy like this is never easy. There are no simple answers, and the challenges are many. With strong resolve and a determination to move forward, we can do our best to support the people of Newtown," Malloy said in a previous statement.

Malloy said that the funding is being made available now to help the project, still in its early stages, to begin moving forward as fast as possible.

On Dec. 14, 20 first-graders and six adults were shot and killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

A townwide referendum on the project will be held on Oct. 5 from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. at Newtown Middle School on Queen Street.

"Shall the $49,250,000 special appropriation for architectural and engineering services for the design of a new elementary school in Sandy Hook, demolition of existing school and for the construction of said school and the acquisition of two parcels of land for the purpose of relocating the entrance of said school, said special appropriation to be funded by a grant from the State of Connecticut, be approved," the referendum question reads.

If approved, the 56-year-old school would be demolished sometime in November, according to the town's website.

For the current school year, the students that would have attended Sandy Hook are attending a school renovated just for them in the neighboring town of Monroe.

For more information about the referendum, click here.

Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • NewsMore>>

  • 4 dead in Waffle House shooting in Tennessee; suspect sought

    4 dead in Waffle House shooting in Tennessee; suspect sought

    Sunday, April 22 2018 8:34 AM EDT2018-04-22 12:34:45 GMT
    Sunday, April 22 2018 11:56 PM EDT2018-04-23 03:56:40 GMT
    A customer at the restaurant took the gun from the suspect, who then took off his coat and fled the area. (Source: CNN)A customer at the restaurant took the gun from the suspect, who then took off his coat and fled the area. (Source: CNN)
    Police in Tennessee say three people were killed and four were injured in a shooting at a Waffle House restaurant early Sunday. (Source: CNN)Police in Tennessee say three people were killed and four were injured in a shooting at a Waffle House restaurant early Sunday. (Source: CNN)

    A customer at the restaurant took the gun from the suspect, who then took off his coat and fled the area. 

    More >>

    A customer at the restaurant took the gun from the suspect, who then took off his coat and fled the area. 

    More >>
  • Waffle House shooting victims: DeEbony Groves, 21, was 'full of immense potential'

    Waffle House shooting victims: DeEbony Groves, 21, was 'full of immense potential'

    Sunday, April 22 2018 11:48 PM EDT2018-04-23 03:48:36 GMT
    Sunday, April 22 2018 11:48 PM EDT2018-04-23 03:48:36 GMT
    DeEbony Groves majored in social work at Belmont University. (Source: Belmont University/CNN)DeEbony Groves majored in social work at Belmont University. (Source: Belmont University/CNN)

    Groves was a senior at Belmont, where she majored in social work, and her death left the school "shocked and devastated" its president said. 

    More >>

    Groves was a senior at Belmont, where she majored in social work, and her death left the school "shocked and devastated" its president said. 

    More >>
  • Macron to push Trump on Iran deal, says there's no 'Plan B'

    Macron to push Trump on Iran deal, says there's no 'Plan B'

    Sunday, April 22 2018 11:04 AM EDT2018-04-22 15:04:45 GMT
    Sunday, April 22 2018 11:47 PM EDT2018-04-23 03:47:27 GMT
    (AP Photo/Michel Euler). France's President Emmanuel Macron walks out of the lobby of the Elysee Palace in Paris, Friday, April 20, 2018, to welcome Senegalese President Macky Sall. Senegalese President Macky Sall is in France for a five-day visit.(AP Photo/Michel Euler). France's President Emmanuel Macron walks out of the lobby of the Elysee Palace in Paris, Friday, April 20, 2018, to welcome Senegalese President Macky Sall. Senegalese President Macky Sall is in France for a five-day visit.

    French President Emmanuel Macron is urging U.S. President Donald Trump to stick with the Iranian nuclear accord, arguing that there's no "Plan B".

    More >>

    French President Emmanuel Macron is urging U.S. President Donald Trump to stick with the Iranian nuclear accord, arguing that there's no "Plan B".

    More >>
Powered by Frankly