Race Fan Dies from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - WSFA.com: News Weather and Sports for Montgomery, AL.

Race Fan Dies from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Posted: Updated:
Photo of Sheriff Kilgore at News Conference. (by Vanessa Araiza) Photo of Sheriff Kilgore at News Conference. (by Vanessa Araiza)
TALLADEGA, AL (WBRC) -

 

A race fan is dead from carbon monoxide poisoning. Talladega Deputy Coroner Larry Seals tells FOX6 News reporter Vanessa Araiza that the person who died is a 46-year old man from Tennessee. His wife was last listed in serious condition at UAB Hospital.

The Coroner says his office received a call around 1pm Saturday from the South Campground near the Superspeedway.
Some friends found the couple inside their RV. The husband was dead. Emergency crews took the wife to the infield care center at the Track. She was flown to Birmingham afterwards.

According to Seals, the couple turned on their gas stove in an attempt to stay warm. Seals says it appears that the exhaust system to the generator was broken.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas, CO, that burns with a pale-blue flame, produced when carbon burns with insufficient air.

Copyright 2013 WBRC. All Rights Reserved.

 

Powered by WorldNow