14 students, teacher taken to hospital after inhaling unknown fu - WSFA.com: News Weather and Sports for Montgomery, AL.

14 students, teacher taken to hospital after inhaling unknown fumes

Posted: Updated:
  • More newsMore>>

  • Obama to Russia: More sanctions are 'teed up'

    Obama to Russia: More sanctions are 'teed up'

    Thursday, April 24 2014 10:05 AM EDT2014-04-24 14:05:53 GMT
    Accusing Russia of failing to live up to its commitments, President Barack Obama warned Moscow on Thursday that the United States has another round of economic sanctions "teed up" - even as he acknowledged those...More >>
    Accusing Russia of failing to live up to its commitments, President Barack Obama warned Moscow on Thursday that the United States has another round of economic sanctions "teed up" - even as he acknowledged those penalties...More >>
  • Wyoming gas explosion prompts evacuation of town

    Wyoming gas explosion prompts evacuation of town

    Thursday, April 24 2014 9:55 AM EDT2014-04-24 13:55:47 GMT
    Residents and emergency crews were waiting for a fire to burn itself out after an explosion at a natural gas processing plant in a small town in southwestern Wyoming.More >>
    Residents and emergency crews are waiting for a fire to burn itself out after an explosion at a natural gas processing plant in a small town in southwestern Wyoming.More >>
  • breaking

    Amber Alert suspects arrested, toddler found safe

    Amber Alert suspects arrested, toddler found safe

    Thursday, April 24 2014 9:49 AM EDT2014-04-24 13:49:46 GMT
    According to WTVA, an Amber Alert has been issued for a missing Lowndes County toddler. Lowndes County Chief Deputy Marc Miley says they are searching for 2-year-old Malia Harris of Columbus. OfficialsMore >>
    Georgia officials believe suspects in the Mississippi Amber Alert case may be in southwest Georgia. Cook County, GA investigators have been actively searching the Lenox area for the suspects. Officials confirmed a heavy presence of law enforcement in that area Wednesday night.More >>
HICKORY, NC (WBTV) -

Fourteen students and a teacher were taken the hospital in Catawba County Tuesday morning after officials say they became sickened from inhaling some type of fumes at school.

The incident was reported at Hickory Career and Arts Magnet School.

Officials say the incident started around 11:30 a.m. when several students and a teacher collapsed in a classroom.

School officials say it happened in a single classroom, a dance classroom. There was at least one person from an adjoining classroom that became sick.

Officials evacuated the entire hall, the rest of the school remained open.

Some of the affected students were taken to the other end of the school for immediate treatment. Some walked with paramedics to the ambulances while others were taken out on stretchers.

Officials say none of the injuries was considered critical, but all were taken to the hospital for monitoring.

Everyone was treated and released from the hospital on Tuesday.

Students told WBTV that the fumes had a foul odor, which eliminates carbon monoxide since CO does not have an odor.

Authorities are still trying to figure out the source of the fumes.

WBTV has learned that the wing of the school will be closed off on Wednesday while more tests are being conducted.

Copyright 2013 WBTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow