Family speaks about near-death carbon monoxide experience - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

UPDATE

Overland Park family speaks about near-death carbon monoxide experience

OVERLAND PARK, KS (KCTV) -

An Overland Park family overcome by carbon monoxide earlier this week is back home Friday night.

The family of four is lucky to be alive, saved by a passing good Samaritan.

The mother, Glynnis Smith, explained to KCTV5 what happened.

"My son and I went to the store. He went to the Target right around the corner Tuesday night," Smith said. "He got back around 10. I got out of the car first, then he did, and he left it running. He's a new driver, just 16, and doesn't even have a license, just a permit. He forgot the car was running, just forgot it was running."

Smith said she and her family went to bed, but doesn't remember much after that.

"I remember waking up around midnight or 12:30 a.m., feeling hot and cold, that kind of thing. I remember taking my nightgown off, but that's all I remember," Smith said.

The next memory for Smith was waking up in the hospital the next morning, a memory she likely would not have were it not for a passing good Samaritan, David Kabala, who noticed Smith's teenage son passed out on the front yard.

"Obviously, I knew something was very wrong. He was just in a shorts and T-shirt, just lying there, so I got out of my car and asked, 'are you OK?,'" Kabala said.

That was about 7:30 a.m. Wednesday. Kabala was driving to work when he saw the teenage boy face down in the grass of the house at West 121st and Hemlock streets. He immediately stopped to help.

"He was very distraught. He said his family was hurt, and he was saying that they may be dead. I was scared for him and his family," Kabala said.

Kabala called 911. Firefighters arrived and rescued Smith, her sister, and her 9-year-old nephew from the house. The carbon monoxide levels were 40 times higher than the normal level, and with Smith's bedroom being directly above the garage where the car was running, she got the brunt of the poisoning.

"He indicated his mom hadn't gotten him up for school. He didn't know what was going on. He may have tried to get some out but was too weak, exhausted. He got out the door and collapsed," Kabala remembered.

This came on the heels of a scare two weeks prior when Smith said she got dizzy and had firefighters check her home for carbon monoxide.

"We had planned on getting detectors two weeks ago, but we were so busy we actually forgot," she said.

Smith realizes that, if not for Kabala, she and her family likely would not be alive.

"The doctors told me it's a miracle that I'm alive because I had such high levels of carbon monoxide in my system," she said.

All were the result of a mistake by a teenage boy, and a swift act by a passing good Samaritan. Smith said the family didn't have carbon monoxide detectors, but that is something that has since changed. She said they picked theirs up after being released from the hospital.

Copyright 2013 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.

  • NewsMore>>

  • Heavy delays on Taylor Road near Eastchase

    Heavy delays on Taylor Road near Eastchase

    Thursday, February 22 2018 3:16 PM EST2018-02-22 20:16:27 GMT
    Crews dealing with what appears to be a downed power or cable line across Taylor Road. (Source: WSFA 12 News viewer)Crews dealing with what appears to be a downed power or cable line across Taylor Road. (Source: WSFA 12 News viewer)

    Commuters traveling on Taylor Road near Eastchase should be aware of heavy delays at this hour. 

    More >>

    Commuters traveling on Taylor Road near Eastchase should be aware of heavy delays at this hour. 

    More >>
  • Again the question: Could armed teachers stop shootings?

    Again the question: Could armed teachers stop shootings?

    Thursday, February 22 2018 1:13 AM EST2018-02-22 06:13:54 GMT
    Thursday, February 22 2018 3:14 PM EST2018-02-22 20:14:57 GMT
    (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster). From left, President Donald Trump, Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student students Carson Abt, and Ariana Klein, listen as Carson's father Frederick Abt, speaks during a listening session with high school students, teac...(AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster). From left, President Donald Trump, Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student students Carson Abt, and Ariana Klein, listen as Carson's father Frederick Abt, speaks during a listening session with high school students, teac...

    Revisiting an idea he raised in his campaign, Trump's comments in favor of allowing teachers to be armed come as lawmakers in several states are wrestling with the idea.

    More >>

    Revisiting an idea he raised in his campaign, Trump's comments in favor of allowing teachers to be armed come as lawmakers in several states are wrestling with the idea.

    More >>
  • 'Dear God, we have failed' rabbi prays at chamber breakfast

    'Dear God, we have failed' rabbi prays at chamber breakfast

    Thursday, February 22 2018 3:05 PM EST2018-02-22 20:05:24 GMT
    (Source: WSFA 12 News)(Source: WSFA 12 News)

    Before forks and knives hit the eggs, the tone was set with a benediction from Rabbi Scott Kramer who prayed only of the recent high school shooting in Parkland, Florida, that claimed 17 lives.

    More >>

    Before forks and knives hit the eggs, the tone was set with a benediction from Rabbi Scott Kramer who prayed only of the recent high school shooting in Parkland, Florida, that claimed 17 lives.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly