Thursday, July 24 2014 12:22 AM EDT2014-07-24 04:22:38 GMT
The U.S. Supreme Court cleared the way for Arizona to carry out its third execution in the past year Wednesday following a closely watched First Amendment fight over the secrecy surrounding lethal injection drugs.More >>
A condemned Arizona inmate gasped for more than an hour and a half during his execution Wednesday before he died in an episode sure to add to the scrutiny surrounding the death penalty in the U.S.More >>
Thursday, July 24 2014 12:09 AM EDT2014-07-24 04:09:08 GMT
Scam artists are targeting customers of the Central Alabama Electric Cooperative, or CAEC, according to company officials.CAEC is issuing an alert to its members, as well as the general public, to be awareMore >>
The phone rings and the caller demands payment and threatens to shut off your power if you don't hand over bank or credit card information. Central Alabama Electric Cooperative and other Alabama co-ops are having it happen to customers and they don't want others to fall prey to con artists. More >>
PRATTVILLE, AL (WSFA) -
Just the mere thought of how close Patti Robison and Jimmy Rhodes came to getting seriously hurt is still fresh for Robison.
"We didn't know it started until my son opened the bedroom door," Robison said.
The house fire happened last week on Summerhill Road in Prattville.
"I can't imagine losing everything," said Chilton County pastor John Ingram.
Rev. Ingram is leading the drive to help Patti and Jimmy. Ingram says he'll take up a Sunday collection to help the couple and their two young children.
"Our hearts were touched so we'll give what we can and take something out of the general fund," said Ingram who pastors the Stanton Bible Methodist Church.
It's a gesture of giving Rhodes finds a bit overwhelming in the midst of loss.
"It's great what the church is doing," said Rhodes.
This family escaped their burning home with literally just the clothes on their backs. They had no insurance and really no permanent place to stay. The couple has been staying in a motel but will soon live with a relative for the time being.
Patti and Jimmy say the fire started when one of their children apparently turned on the space heater in a bedroom. The couple's son was slightly burned on his left thumb when he touched the door.
On Thanksgiving Eve Patti and Jimmy find themselves starting over.
"We need food and clothes," Rhodes said.
However, they won't be alone. Ingram is counting on parishioners to help them get back on their feet one step at a time.
"We'll challenge the people to give what they can," he said.
"I think it's very nice for the people to do that for us," said Patti through the tears.
Although the couple lost their home and everything inside, they say they still have plenty to be thankful for starting with John Ingram.
If you're interested in helping Patti Robison and Jimmy Rhodes. Ingram says you can contact him at 334-366-4766 or send a check to the church at:
Stanton Bible Methodist Church
P.O. Box 43
Stanton, Alabama 36790
You also have the option of dropping off clothes, food and toys at the Prattville Fire Department behind Walgreens on East Main Street near Memorial Drive.