Woman reading by candlelight escapes early morning house fire - WSFA.com: News Weather and Sports for Montgomery, AL.

Woman reading by candlelight escapes early morning house fire

Posted: Updated:
Photo by Clare Huddleston, WBRC Photo by Clare Huddleston, WBRC
BESSEMER, AL (WBRC) -

A woman escaped an early morning house fire Monday in the 4600 block of Grasselli Blvd SW in Birmingham.

Birmingham Fire Battalion Chief Buddy Welch says the woman was reading by candlelight when she fell asleep. The fire likely started from the candle but the case is still under investigation.

Battalion Chief Welch says the woman had second and third degree burns on her body and was taken to UAB Hospital for treatment.

The home did not have any electricity. It's unclear if the woman lived at the home or was just inside trying to stay warm.

Copyright 2013 WBRC. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow