Kids can still breathe after swallowing coin-sized batteries - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Kids can still breathe after swallowing coin-sized batteries

Posted: Updated:
Parents, caretakers and babysitters should be aware and check all electronics for loose batteries. Parents, caretakers and babysitters should be aware and check all electronics for loose batteries.
After two and a half hours, it burned the hotdog and left a circle. After two and a half hours, it burned the hotdog and left a circle.
  • More newsMore>>

  • Police hunt for 2 who carjacked SUV, killed 3 kids

    Police hunt for 2 who carjacked SUV, killed 3 kids

    Saturday, July 26 2014 9:13 AM EDT2014-07-26 13:13:25 GMT
    Police are searching for two men who carjacked an SUV and plowed into a group of children and adults selling fruit at a Philadelphia street corner, killing three kids and seriously injuring two women.More >>
    Police are searching for two men who carjacked an SUV and plowed into a group of children and adults selling fruit to raise money for their church, killing three siblings and critically injuring their mother and the...More >>
  • Walmart severe weather awareness day Saturday

    Walmart severe weather awareness day Saturday

    Saturday, July 26 2014 9:10 AM EDT2014-07-26 13:10:35 GMT
    The Doppler 12 Storm Vision team and StormTracker 12 will be on hand Saturday at the Walmart on Chantilly Parkway for a severe weather preparedness event. WSFA is teaming up with Montgomery EmergencyMore >>
    The Doppler 12 Storm Vision team is teaming up with several groups for a severe weather preparedness event at the Walmart on Chantilly Parkway Saturday.
    More >>
  • In Gaza lull, residents return to destroyed areas

    In Gaza lull, residents return to destroyed areas

    Saturday, July 26 2014 8:43 AM EDT2014-07-26 12:43:51 GMT
    A 12-hour humanitarian cease-fire has begun to allow civilians in Gaza to receive aid and evacuate to safer areas.More >>
    Thousands of Gaza residents who had fled Israel-Hamas fighting streamed back to devastated border areas during a lull Saturday to find large-scale destruction: scores of homes were pulverized, wreckage blocked roads and...More >>

(WMC-TV) - A hidden danger could be in your children's Christmas presents, and it could be deadly.

Coin-sized batteries often found in mini remotes, flameless candles, bathroom scales and other household items look harmless, but that's not the case for a curious child who likes to put everything in his or her mouth.

When swallowed it gets stuck and the salvia causes a chemical reaction where intense burning of the esophagus can happen.

In an video report, the Action News 5 Investigators bought a pack of hot dogs to show how quickly the battery can react. We cut a slit in a hot dog and placed the battery inside.

The hotdog and juices imitate a child's throat; within 30 minutes that hot dog was turning black and the battery acid bubbling.

After two and a half hours, it burned the hotdog and left a circle.

"It doesn't take very long ... A child isn't going to tell you that they swallowed that. And there aren't gonna be very many symptoms immediately so when the parent or caregiver notices that it happened, it could be almost too late," said Susan Helms with Le Bonheur Safe Kids.

She says parents, caretakers and babysitters should be aware and check all electronics for loose batteries.

Experts say kids can still breathe with the coin lithium battery in their throat. So it may not be not be obvious at first that something is wrong. If your child swallows one then go to the emergency room immediately.

Copyright 2013 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow