Birmingham homeless man dies of exposure - WSFA.com: News Weather and Sports for Montgomery, AL.

Birmingham homeless man dies of exposure

Posted: Updated:
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) -

The Jefferson County Coroner's Office has determined that a homeless man died Christmas Eve from exposure to extreme cold temperatures in downtown Birmingham.

AL.com reports that 56-year-old Kerry Washington was found on the 400 block of 1st Street South at 7:40 a.m. He was semi-conscious. Washington was taken to UAB Hospital but he died two hours later.

The coroner's office says he died of accidental hypothermia.

Temperatures reached an overnight low of 26 degrees in the hours before Washington was discovered, according to the National Weather Service.

The city of Birmingham operates a warming station at Boutwell Auditorium, located at 1930 Rev. Abraham Woods Jr. Blvd. The makeshift facility was open the night Washington spent in the cold.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow