Salvation Army returns ring to generous donor - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Salvation Army returns ring to generous donor

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) -

Sometimes in life the things we lose have a way of coming back to us. That couldn't be more true for Shelie Bravo Williams.

On Dec. 23 Williams dropped a gold ring and note into a kettle at 82nd and Frankford with the intent of remaining anonymous, but the story of her gift was too good to keep secret.

It was the ring Williams gave her late husband on their first Christmas together.

Williams lost her husband to cancer seven years ago and was looking for a way to carry on his legacy.

"Anything I can do to carry on his giving heart," she said.

After much investigating and research, the Salvation Army was able to follow the breadcrumbs back to Williams.

"I saw the ring on TV and I was literally having a cup of coffee and crying because I never thought I would see the ring again," Williams said.

She just wondered, "Why are they looking for me?"

Salvation Army workers said they were shocked at what they discovered inside that red kettle on Monday.

"I just gave her a hug because it was so awesome to finally meet the woman who thought of her husband so much that she gave something like that to someone else."

The note read:

"In honor of my husband who passed away 7 yrs. ago today. He was my Angel and I know he continues to watch over me and his family. He had a giving heart and would want to help however he could. This was his ring, It's not much but I hope it helps… Merry Christmas & GOD BLESS."

An anonymous donor approached the Salvation Army and said they wanted to donate the value of the ring, on the condition that it would be returned to its owner.

"To me that just means that I'm meant to help someone else in their time of need with it..." Williams said.

Copyright 2013 KCBD. All rights reserved.

• Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

50 employees fired after refusing flu shot

Wednesday, November 22 2017 2:14 AM EST2017-11-22 07:14:40 GMT
    Wednesday, November 22 2017 2:14 AM EST2017-11-22 07:14:40 GMT
    At least 50 enployees at a health company have lost their jobs after refusing to get flu shots. (Source: KBJR/CN)At least 50 enployees at a health company have lost their jobs after refusing to get flu shots. (Source: KBJR/CN)

Since September, employees have been given three options:  Get the flu shot, get an approved religious or medical exemption, or leave Essentia. At least 50 people have lost their jobs thus far.

Cold War drama caught on video as N. Korean soldier escapes

Wednesday, November 22 2017 2:11 AM EST2017-11-22 07:11:49 GMT
    Wednesday, November 22 2017 11:36 AM EST2017-11-22 16:36:17 GMT

On a cold, grey afternoon, a lone North Korean soldier races toward freedom, the shock of his comrades palpable as they realize he is defecting to the South and start sprinting after him.

David Cassidy, 'Partridge Family' star, '70s teen idol, dies at 67

Tuesday, November 21 2017 9:17 PM EST2017-11-22 02:17:34 GMT
    Wednesday, November 22 2017 12:03 AM EST2017-11-22 05:03:41 GMT

David Cassidy became an instant  teen heartthrob as Keith Partridge on "The Partridge Family," which ran from 1971 to 1974, and while singing on tour, with his concerts selling out in major venues like Madison Square Garden.