Monday, May 5 2014 7:59 AM EDT2014-05-05 11:59:35 GMT
President Obama declared a major disaster in five Alabama countiesMore >>
President Obama declared a major disaster in Alabama, and Lee County along with Jefferson, Baldwin, Limestone and Mobile Counties will be receiving federal funding to increase recovery efforts in the areas affected by severe storms.More >>
(FEMA/CDC) - Be alert to changing weather conditions. When there are thunderstorms in your area, turn on your radio or TV to get the latest emergency information from local authorities. Listen for announcementsMore >>
WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - A strengthening low will move into central North Carolina Sunday morning putting southeast North Carolina in the storm's warm sector. Areas of heavy rain and a few strong thunderstorms are likely. Cooler and drier weather returns behind the cold front Sunday night into Monday.
SATURDAY NIGHT: Rapidly thickening clouds will deliver a 30% rain chance for the evening and a 70% rain chance late at night. East breezes of mainly 10 to 20mph will shift to southerly late and, with that warmer wind direction, temperatures will hold in the 50s for most of the night.
SUNDAY MORNING: Expect gusty and heavy showers and locally strong storms. Even outside of storms, southerly winds will gust at times over 30mph. Storms may produce even stronger gusts and a few small short-track tornadoes. Stay weather-aware! Temperatures: 60s to lower 70s.
SUNDAY AFTERNOON: Showers and storms will make a quick exit and most spots will have gone completely rain-free by sunset. Total rainfall: one to two inches in most spots. Also expect temperatures steady in the 60s or lower 70s amid brisk southwesterly breezes.
A PEEK INTO NEXT WEEK: Cooler and dry for Monday. A weaker system could bring some scattered showers and chilly weather on Tuesday. New Year's Eve and Day should be dry and seasonably cool. A shot of Arctic cold could drop highs into the 40's and lows into the 20's by the end of the week.
Don't forget to download the free WECT First Alert Weather app to stay ahead of the storm.