Thursday, August 28 2014 8:37 AM EDT2014-08-28 12:37:58 GMT
The Montgomery area food bank will celebrate the grand opening of their newly expanded facility. The expansion was built onto the existing facility on Trade Center Street.The newly expanded facility isMore >>
The Montgomery area food bank will celebrate the grand opening of their newly expanded facility. The expansion was built onto the existing facility on Trade Center Street.More >>
Thursday, August 28 2014 8:19 AM EDT2014-08-28 12:19:05 GMT
The strategically positioned southeastern Ukraine town of Novoazovsk appears firmly under the control of Russia-backed separatists as concerns grow about the opening of a new front in the Ukraine conflict.More >>
"Russian forces have entered Ukraine," the country's president declared Thursday, cancelling a foreign trip and calling an emergency meeting of his security council. Reports from analysts to separatist rebels to NATO...More >>
Thursday, August 28 2014 7:28 AM EDT2014-08-28 11:28:41 GMT
The search area for a missing Malaysian airliner in the southern Indian Ocean has been refined based on the latest analysis, while the investigation into how the plane came to crash cannot proceed until the...More >>
Just weeks before the hunt for the missing Malaysian airliner is set to resume, an Australian official said Thursday that the sprawling search area in the southern Indian Ocean may be extended farther south based on a new...More >>
Thursday, August 28 2014 6:47 AM EDT2014-08-28 10:47:14 GMT
A Butler County family can't believe that the man convicted of their loved one's death has been allowed to leave prison and work near where they live and where the crime happened. Bobby Ray McCombs brothersMore >>
A Butler County family can't believe that the man convicted of their loved one's death has been allowed to leave prison and work near where they live and where the crime happened.
Many health problems are commonly associated with cold weather, such as coughs and the flu, and even hypothermia. But one physical issue that often gets overlooked this time of year is eczema and other itchy, burning skin conditions caused by the dryness in the winter air.
Dr. Ella Amador from MyCare Urgent Care in Columbus stopped by the WTVM studio and offered several tips for avoiding nose bleeds, eczema and extremely dry skin this winter.
1. Avoid turning the thermostat up too high. When the temperature drops outside, it's natural to want to raise it extra high inside. "We want to raise it to a comfortable 74 to 78 degrees," says Amador. However, the added heat can make the air even dryer, creating worse issues for your skin.
2. Run a humidifier in the room. "The cold weather doesn't permit for good moisture retention in your skin," says Amador. "Kids will have nose bleeds. Your skin would also be dry. So, I generally recommend keeping a humidifier in the room, just in case."
3. Keep showers short and not too hot. Another easy way to get warm is to take a long, hot shower. The heat feels great, but Amador says, "It strips away the natural oils in your skin."
4. Avoid using harsh soaps. Amador says soaps that are heavily scented can be particularly harsh on the skin. A good, mild soap is best for dry, wintry weather.
5. Pat dry instead of rubbing your skin. This can also help retain the skin's natural oils.
6. Find a good moisturizer. Never underestimate the power of a good lotion or body cream. Amador advises using an unscented lotion liberally after taking a shower or bath.
The winter months do not have to be itchy season. While some of these tips may mean avoiding the usual quick fixes for getting warm, they could also mean that you're able to be more comfortable in your own skin.