Birmingham police officer recalls saving woman from house fire - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Birmingham police officer recalls saving woman from house fire

Birmingham police officer Morris Garner rescued a woman from a house fire in the Center Point area on Sunday morning. Source: WBRC video Birmingham police officer Morris Garner rescued a woman from a house fire in the Center Point area on Sunday morning. Source: WBRC video
Two daughters died in a fire at this home in the 1500 block of 2nd Place Northwest. Source: WBRC video Two daughters died in a fire at this home in the 1500 block of 2nd Place Northwest. Source: WBRC video
BIRMINGHAM, AL (WBRC) -

When Morris Garner joined the Birmingham Police Department seven years ago, he committed to serving his community. Early Sunday morning, that opportunity stared him in the face. He had just stopped for a cup of coffee when he heard the alert.

"I got a call, a signal 20, house fire," Garner remembered. "And the dispatcher said there were people trapped inside."

He left the coffee on the counter and rushed four miles to the scene. When he arrived at 1529 2nd Place Northwest, fire crews hadn't even gotten to the scene. He vividly remembers what he was confronted with.

"It was black smoke and the fire was blazing, rolling up in the sky. And I just said a little prayer."

Without hesitation, he ran toward the house and heard a woman screaming for help.

"And I ran up the handicap walkway and I could see someone blurrily in the living room of the house. So I told her come on out, and she's like, 'No. No. My daughter is in here, my daughter,'" Garner said.

But with flames licking at him just inches away, Garner knew what had to be done first.

"I immediately turned her around, grabbed her and proceeded to pull her out," he said.

As he did so, more officers arrived and tried to rescue the woman's daughters, but the flames were too intense.

"After that, we heard an explosion so we ran back to pull her farther away. I was thinking I couldn't save anybody else, but I really tried."

Garner is back on the street now. He's had time to reflect on his actions and doesn't consider himself a hero, but simply an officer and a father who relied on his training and his commitment to serve.

"You never know, it could be my family and I would expect someone to go in and what they could to get them to safety also," he said.

Copyright 2014 WBRC. All rights reserved.

Amazon raising price of annual Prime membership to $119

Thursday, April 26 2018 5:59 PM EDT2018-04-26 21:59:01 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 7:11 PM EDT2018-04-26 23:11:54 GMT
    Amazon has ventured into other business areas including, shipping and medical care, and now banking. (Source: AMAZON/CNN)Amazon has ventured into other business areas including, shipping and medical care, and now banking. (Source: AMAZON/CNN)

Amazon says it will hike up the price of its Prime membership fee by 20 percent next month.

Trump's Cohen comments raise questions about relationship

Thursday, April 26 2018 9:18 AM EDT2018-04-26 13:18:48 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 7:10 PM EDT2018-04-26 23:10:57 GMT
    President Donald Trump says his personal attorney Michael Cohen represents him 'with this crazy Stormy Daniels deal' and that 'from what I see he did absolutely nothing wrong.' (Source: CNN)President Donald Trump says his personal attorney Michael Cohen represents him 'with this crazy Stormy Daniels deal' and that 'from what I see he did absolutely nothing wrong.' (Source: CNN)

President Donald Trump says his personal attorney Michael Cohen represents him "with this crazy Stormy Daniels deal" and that "from what I see he did absolutely nothing wrong."

Suspect in serial killings was obsessed with lawn care

Thursday, April 26 2018 2:39 AM EDT2018-04-26 06:39:08 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 7:09 PM EDT2018-04-26 23:09:25 GMT
    (AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli). Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones, left, talks to reporters about the arrest Joesph James DeAngelo, seen in photo, on suspicion of committing a string of violent crimes in the 1970's and 1980's after a news conference. ...(AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli). Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones, left, talks to reporters about the arrest Joesph James DeAngelo, seen in photo, on suspicion of committing a string of violent crimes in the 1970's and 1980's after a news conference. ...

The suspected Golden State Killer became less prolific but deadlier after losing his job as a police officer.