Monday, September 1 2014 2:55 PM EDT2014-09-01 18:55:50 GMT
Selma Police say four men were arrested and are being charged after nearly 40 shots were fired at a group of people in downtown Selma. According to police Wesley Washington, Martinez Newberry, DerrickMore >>
Selma Police say four men were arrested and are being charged after nearly 40 shots were fired at a group of people in downtown Selma.More >>
Sunday, August 31 2014 3:28 PM EDT2014-08-31 19:28:29 GMT
Disturbing pictures of an injured kindergartner from Pascagoula have made a mother's call for action go viral online.More >>
Disturbing pictures of an injured kindergartner from Pascagoula have made a mother's call for action go viral online. Friends and family of a Pascagoula kindergarten student have created a Facebook page and GoFundMe.com account claiming the girl was attacked on the playground this week by another student.More >>
Monday, September 1 2014 4:52 PM EDT2014-09-01 20:52:33 GMT
The Mississippi Highway Patrol has issued an Amber Alert for 17-year-old Katelyn Beard. She was abducted Saturday morning from between 6:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. from 4244 Lynda Street in Jackson. BeardMore >>
Her Nissan Altima was discovered behind a vacant building. We are told that officers are searching the area now.
Tuesday, August 19 2014 4:53 PM EDT2014-08-19 20:53:02 GMT
A cross was burned in the yard of a Smith County man after what his family is referring to as a vicious hate crime occurred. Family members say that Craig Wilson was beaten with brass knuckles and shotMore >>
A burning cross, a Smith county man beaten and shot by a family member, and in critical condition. We are told this is much more than a family feud, and outraged family members are calling it a "hate crime."
Space heaters are the number one cause of house fires in January. Are you doing everything you can to keep your family safe?
In the past, this month has been deemed one of the most dangerous for heating-related fires. Officials say prevention is key when it comes to protecting your home this winter because heat sources can be hazardous if you aren't careful.
National statistics show heating equipment starts one out of every five house fires. Those fires cause more than 600 deaths per year.
"There are some precautions that we have to take when we think about space heaters. For those heaters, you always want to have about three feet around that," explained Lt. Matthew Hertzfeld with Toledo Fire and Rescue.
The three-foot radius serves as a safety zone to keep flammable material away from the heater.
"Things that normally may be OK in a home that does not have a space heater, once you introduce a space heater, you introduce an open flame," said Hertzfeld.
That open flame can potentially raise the temperature of the products around the heater and start a fire. Hertzfeld says space heaters should never be left unattended and they should not be running while you're asleep.
"You want to see them in the main areas, dining room, kitchens...those types of areas where there is somebody around and they're close to a smoke alarm," suggested Hertzfeld.
Smoke detectors are another important factor in keeping your home safe. They can mean the difference between life and death.
Fire officials say if you're a resident of Toledo, there's no reason to not have a working smoke alarm because you can get one for free at any Toledo fire station.
Other fire safety tips:
-When plugging in electric heaters, make sure the outlet was designed to handle the load. Do not plug anything else into the socket with the heater.
-When using kerosene heaters, make sure you only use the correct fuel. The wrong fuel may cause a fire or explosion. Only fill to 90 percent. Kerosene will expand once indoors. After the heater has cooled, take it outside to refuel.
We want to help keep your family and home safe. Be sure to create an escape plan and practice drills to ensure that everyone knows what to do if there is a fire and smoke detectors sound. Following these tips can help you prevent a house fire this winter.