Jury finds former fire official not guilty of assault - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Jury finds former fire official not guilty of assault

Jones was arrested on assault charges in February 2011. Jones was arrested on assault charges in February 2011.
MARSHALL COUNTY, AL (WAFF) -

A jury handed down a not guilty verdict in the assault trial of former Asbury Assistant Fire Chief Kenneth Jones.

Jones was arrested on assault charges in February 2011 after deputies in Marshall County said he ran over his former employer, Marlon Banks, at the fire hall.

The jury was given final instructions before beginning deliberations at 10:30 a.m.

The jury came back Thursday afternoon, noting a mistake had been made on the jury form. The mistake was corrected and deliberations continued until just before 4 p.m., when they returned the not-guilty verdict.

Banks testified that he was run over after Jones raised a weapon to him and he responded by hitting Jones in the face. Banks said Jones then backed up and ran over him. The defense claimed Jones lost sense of what he was doing after being struck.

"I believe that was the cause of this whole accident to begin with. As a result, had Mr. Banks not struck Mr. Jones, this never would have happened," said Jones' attorney, Clark Hall.

Hall thanked the jury for their service, saying "This is how justice is served."

Remember, when breaking news happens, we break it first online, by email, and by text. If you want to receive our breaking news alerts by text, pull out your phone right now and text NEWS to 44848. Message and data rates may apply. You can text STOP at any time to cancel your subscription, text HELP for more information, or call 877-571-0774 for support.

Copyright 2014 WAFF. All rights reserved.

  • Jury finds former fire official not guilty of assaultMore>>

  • Related Stories

    Related Stories

    Marshall Co. assistant volunteer fire chief arrested Trial of former assistant fire chief resumesMore >>
    Marshall Co. assistant volunteer fire chief arrested Trial of former assistant fire chief resumesMore >>
  • NewsMore>>

  • Trump awards Medal of Honor to Navy SEAL in Afghan assault

    Trump awards Medal of Honor to Navy SEAL in Afghan assault

    Thursday, May 24 2018 3:12 PM EDT2018-05-24 19:12:14 GMT
    Friday, May 25 2018 1:25 AM EDT2018-05-25 05:25:35 GMT
    (AP Photo/Susan Walsh). President Donald Trump stands with Master Chief Special Warfare Operator Britt K. Slabinski during a ceremony to award him the Medal of Honor in the East Room of the White House in Washington, Thursday, May 24, 2018. Slabinski o...(AP Photo/Susan Walsh). President Donald Trump stands with Master Chief Special Warfare Operator Britt K. Slabinski during a ceremony to award him the Medal of Honor in the East Room of the White House in Washington, Thursday, May 24, 2018. Slabinski o...
    President Donald Trump has awarded the Medal of Honor to a Navy SEAL who oversaw a daring assault and rescue mission on a snowy Afghanistan mountaintop in 2002.More >>
    President Donald Trump has awarded the Medal of Honor to a Navy SEAL who oversaw a daring assault and rescue mission on a snowy Afghanistan mountaintop in 2002.More >>
  • Probe: Missile that downed MH17 came from Russia-based unit

    Probe: Missile that downed MH17 came from Russia-based unit

    Thursday, May 24 2018 5:32 AM EDT2018-05-24 09:32:04 GMT
    Friday, May 25 2018 1:25 AM EDT2018-05-25 05:25:11 GMT
    The passenger jet was headed from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, when it was was blown out of the sky over eastern Ukraine on July 17, 2014. All 298 passengers and crew were killed. (Source: CNN)The passenger jet was headed from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, when it was was blown out of the sky over eastern Ukraine on July 17, 2014. All 298 passengers and crew were killed. (Source: CNN)

    An international team of investigators say that detailed analysis of video images has established that the Buk missile that brought down Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 nearly four years ago came from a Russia-based...

    More >>

    An international team of investigators say that detailed analysis of video images has established that the Buk missile that brought down Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 nearly four years ago came from a Russia-based military unit.

    More >>
  • N. Korea demolishes nuclear test site as journalists watch

    N. Korea demolishes nuclear test site as journalists watch

    Thursday, May 24 2018 6:32 AM EDT2018-05-24 10:32:00 GMT
    Friday, May 25 2018 1:25 AM EDT2018-05-25 05:25:02 GMT
    Journalists took a long journey up to North Korea to witness the destruction of what North Korea said were nuclear sites. (Source: CNN)Journalists took a long journey up to North Korea to witness the destruction of what North Korea said were nuclear sites. (Source: CNN)

    North Korea has carried out what it says is the demolition of its nuclear test site in the presence of foreign journalists.

    More >>

    North Korea has carried out what it says is the demolition of its nuclear test site in the presence of foreign journalists.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly