1 person dead after Bullock Co. house fire - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Space heater may have caused deadly Barbour Co. fire

Posted: Updated:
LOUISVILLE, AL (WSFA) -

The Alabama State Fire Marshal's office is confirming the state's 21st fire-related death of 2014 after one person died in a house fire in Barbour County.

The Barbour County Coroner's office identified the victim as 71-year-old Willie Edom of Louisville. Edom's body was found inside his home after a fire tore through his mobile home on Boykin Lane late Thursday night.

State Fire Marshal Ed Paulk says while the cause of the fire is under investigation, it was most likely started by a portable electric space heater.

"This cold weather is causing people to make bad decisions and sadly, that's leading to a loss of life," Paulk told WSFA 12 News.

Edom was pronounced dead at 9:25 p.m. His body has been sent to the Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences in Montgomery for an autopsy.

Edom lived alone and was the only person inside the mobile home when it caught fire.

"Let's make good decisions based on common sense like wrapping up in blankets to keep warm. Don't use your stove to heat your home, don't leave space heaters on overnight and keep them at least three feet away from combustibles. And don't overload your electrical system."

Copyright 2014 WSFA 12 News.  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow