Rusk Co. man burned in Tuesday morning fire identified - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Rusk Co. man burned in Tuesday morning fire identified

Posted: Updated:
Phillip Williams (Source: Family) Phillip Williams (Source: Family)
  • More newsMore>>

  • Family of slain USA student Gil Collar loses home in house fire

    Family of slain USA student Gil Collar loses home in house fire

    Monday, September 1 2014 10:03 AM EDT2014-09-01 14:03:52 GMT
    The family of Gil Collar, the University of South Alabama student who was shot and killed on campus in October of 2012, are picking up the pieces after losing their home in a house fire.More >>
    The family of Gil Collar, the University of South Alabama student who was shot and killed on campus in October of 2012, are picking up the pieces after losing their home in a house fire.More >>
  • Israeli children return to school after Gaza war

    Israeli children return to school after Gaza war

    Monday, September 1 2014 9:19 AM EDT2014-09-01 13:19:31 GMT
    Thousands of Israeli children in areas near the Gaza Strip went back to school Monday after spending the summer in bomb shelters as rockets and mortars rained on their communities during the 50-day Israel-Hamas...More >>
    Thousands of Israeli children in areas near the Gaza Strip went back to school Monday after spending the summer in bomb shelters as rockets and mortars rained on their communities during the 50-day Israel-Hamas war, while...More >>
  • Casting call held in Opelika

    Casting call held in Opelika

    Monday, September 1 2014 9:09 AM EDT2014-09-01 13:09:25 GMT
    Opelikans of all ages came out to audition for the movie "White Water" on Sunday.           "I've been acting at a lot at school and home and at my church too. Really getting ready for things I wouldMore >>
    Opelikans of all ages came out to audition for the movie "White Water" on Sunday.           "I've been acting at a lot at school and home and at my church too. Really getting ready for things I wouldMore >>
RUSK COUNTY, TX (KLTV) -

A Rusk County man has been hospitalized due to burns after an early Tuesday morning fire tore through his home.

Crews from the Kilgore, Overton and New London fire departments responded to the fire just after 3:45 a.m. The house is located on Highway 42 in Laird Hill, just north of Farm to Market 2012. 

Crews were able to get the fire under control by 5 a.m. Just one wall of the three bedroom, wood-frame home is still standing. The rest of the home was burned to the ground.

Phillip Williams, 42, was transported by ambulance to Good Shepherd Medical Center in Longview. From there, he was transported by ambulance to Parkland Burn Center in Dallas, where he remains in critical condition. Friends on the scene added that Williams lived alone, along with his two dogs and two cats.

"He cares about everybody and he's loving, helps you out when you need help," Gayle Hutto, the victim's cousin, said.

This isn't the first time tragedy struck the Williams house. In 2010 William's daughter, Suzanne, was killed in a car accident directly in front of the now burned home. She was pregnant at the time and that baby did survive.

Family also said Williams was trying to put out the fire when he was burned. They also tell us fire officials told them one of the cats knocked a space heater over likely causing the fire, but several calls to fire officials went unanswered.

"Hopefully he's going to be okay and I just want everyone to come together and help our friend," Gelana Ingle, the victim's best friend, said.

Donations can be made to the Citizens Bank in Kilgore on Main Street.

Copyright 2014 KLTV. All rights reserved.
Powered by WorldNow