Disabled vet pulled through window of burning home - WSFA.com: News Weather and Sports for Montgomery, AL.

Disabled vet pulled through window of burning home

Posted: Updated:
Fire officials believe the fire started at the kitchen stove. Fire officials believe the fire started at the kitchen stove.
  • More newsMore>>

  • Captain of sunken SKorean ferry, 2 crew arrested

    Captain of sunken SKorean ferry, 2 crew arrested

    Saturday, April 19 2014 9:41 AM EDT2014-04-19 13:41:52 GMT
    The captain of the ferry that sank off South Korea, leaving more than 300 missing or dead, was arrested early Saturday on suspicion of negligence and abandoning people in need. Two crew members also were taken into...More >>
    The captain of the ferry that sank off South Korea, leaving more than 300 missing or dead, was arrested Saturday on suspicion of negligence and abandoning people in need. Two crew members also were taken into custody,...More >>
  • Obama: Easter a time to reflect on hope, renewal

    Obama: Easter a time to reflect on hope, renewal

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:53 AM EDT2014-04-19 11:53:40 GMT
    President Barack Obama is encouraging Americans to draw strength and inspiration from the Easter and Passover holidays.More >>
    President Barack Obama is encouraging Americans to draw strength and inspiration from the Easter and Passover holidays.More >>
  • Sub search for missing jet to be finished in week

    Sub search for missing jet to be finished in week

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:11 AM EDT2014-04-19 11:11:39 GMT
    The search coordination center says an underwater robotic submarine is expected to finish searching a narrowed down area of the Indian Ocean seabed for the missing Malaysia Airlines plane within the next week,...More >>
    A robotic submarine looking for the missing Malaysia Airlines jet is expected to finish searching a patch of the Indian Ocean seabed within a week after so far coming up empty, and the search area may be expanded after...More >>
GUNTERSVILLE, AL (WAFF) -

A disabled Vietnam veteran was rescued from his burning home in Marshall County Thursday afternoon.

Fire crews arrived to put out the fire at the Ligon Street home around 1:30 p.m.

Neighbors said they checked on the man and discovered he was still in the home and pulled him out through a window.

"We knocked the window out. When we got his legs, I couldn't get him out, so Clint came on up and snatched him, so we got him out the window," said Johnny Alexander.

Medics treated 66-year-old Metalmus Nesmith on-scene for smoke inhalation.

Fire officials believe the fire started at the kitchen stove.

Copyright 2014 WAFF. All rights reserved. 

Powered by WorldNow