Automotive shop owner said police refused to come when thieves s - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Automotive shop owner said police refused to come when thieves struck

KANSAS CITY, MO (KCTV) -

Earlier this month KCTV5 told viewers about a break-in at a car dealership where more than $50,000 in cars and tools were stolen.

Since then the owner installed a security system, but when someone broke in Monday, he said police refused to come. Police cited an ordinance the owner had no idea existed.

"I can't describe it, I really cannot describe it," Abraham Karmi said.

The frustrated owner at A's Automotive said he still can't believe his pleas for help were ignored because of a $45 permit.

"The thief was here. I mean, if they showed up, they would have caught him," Karmi said.

He owns A's Automotive, located south of Bannister Road on Hickman Mills Drive. Karmi is also a member of Cars for Christmas and every year he donates cars for families in need.

After a costly break-in overnight on Feb. 5 Karmi had ADT install a security system. Monday about 5:40 p.m. when his alarm went off, the security service called him and police.

According to Karmi, police told him he was out of luck because he never filled out a permit for an alarm and paid the $45 fee.

"I don't know. Nobody told me I was supposed to have a permit for an alarm. It's an alarm, that's it. They installed it and that was it, I thought I was done. Nobody sent me anything, the alarm company did not tell me anything and I was not told by anybody that I need an additional form for them to show up," he said.

Karmi is convinced that whoever broke in Monday was the same from a few weeks ago and said they came for more titles or were looking for cars to go with the keys they had already stolen.

But because of the permit fee, instead of police possibly catching the crook, Karmi was forced to watch live video of the break-in on his phone.

"The alarm system cost me $2,200 to install and if anybody told me I needed $45 I would have got it done. Even if say there was no alarm and we found someone on camera and called, aren't they supposed to show up and catch him while he's here?" he said.

KCTV5 talked to the Kansas City, MO, Police Department's private alarm section. A spokesperson confirmed they will not show up to an alarm call to a home or business without the fee and permit on file. They said that it's up to alarm companies to tell customers about the city ordinance.

"If they ask for $4,500 I'll pay them, but when I need them, I hope they will show up," Karmi said.

Karmi said he's considering moving his business to Kansas since nothing he seems to do in Kansas City, MO, helps.

The city said any homeowner who hires a contractor to install anything at their home should be made aware of city permits pertaining to the work done. Police have not asked the city to revisit the city's ordinance.

Copyright 2014 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.

Trump travel ban is focus of Supreme Court's last arguments

Wednesday, April 25 2018 12:49 AM EDT2018-04-25 04:49:52 GMT
    Wednesday, April 25 2018 6:49 AM EDT2018-04-25 10:49:15 GMT
    (AP Photo/Jessica Gresko). In this April 23, 2018, photo, people wait in line outside the Supreme Court in Washington, to be in the gallery when the court hears arguments in on April 25, over President Donald Trump’s ban on travelers from several mostl...(AP Photo/Jessica Gresko). In this April 23, 2018, photo, people wait in line outside the Supreme Court in Washington, to be in the gallery when the court hears arguments in on April 25, over President Donald Trump’s ban on travelers from several mostl...

The Supreme Court is saving one of its biggest cases for last, weighing President Donald Trump's ban on travelers from several mostly Muslim countries.

Goose attacks high school golfer

Wednesday, April 25 2018 6:31 AM EDT2018-04-25 10:31:20 GMT
    Wednesday, April 25 2018 6:47 AM EDT2018-04-25 10:47:45 GMT
    Photos of a protective goose attacking a 16-year-old golfer in Michigan have been making the rounds online. (Source: WDIV/CNN)Photos of a protective goose attacking a 16-year-old golfer in Michigan have been making the rounds online. (Source: WDIV/CNN)

Lax vetting on Trump nominees begins to frustrate senators

Wednesday, April 25 2018 12:47 AM EDT2018-04-25 04:47:40 GMT
    Wednesday, April 25 2018 6:40 AM EDT2018-04-25 10:40:49 GMT
    (AP Photo/Alex Brandon). CIA director Mike Pompeo and his wife Susan Pompeo arrive for a State Dinner with French President Emmanuel Macron and President Donald Trump at the White House, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, in Washington.(AP Photo/Alex Brandon). CIA director Mike Pompeo and his wife Susan Pompeo arrive for a State Dinner with French President Emmanuel Macron and President Donald Trump at the White House, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, in Washington.

As President Donald Trump's pick to lead Veterans Affairs skids to a halt, senators from both parties are voicing frustration that the White House is skipping crucial vetting of nominees and leaving lawmakers to clean up the mess.