Elderly man pulled from Adamsville house fire dies from injuries - WSFA.com: News Weather and Sports for Montgomery, AL.

Elderly man pulled from Adamsville house fire dies from injuries

Posted: Updated:
The couple who lived at this home had lived here around 20 years. Source: Judson Garner The couple who lived at this home had lived here around 20 years. Source: Judson Garner
An elderly man died from injuries he received in a house fire on School Street in Adamsville Monday night. Source: WBRC video An elderly man died from injuries he received in a house fire on School Street in Adamsville Monday night. Source: WBRC video
The coroner's office identified the victim as Arthur McShane, 85. Source: WBRC video The coroner's office identified the victim as Arthur McShane, 85. Source: WBRC video
BIRMINGHAM, AL (WBRC) -

An elderly man pulled from a house fire in Adamsville died from his injuries after being transported to the hospital, the coroner's office confirmed Tuesday.

Arthur McShan, 85, died from injuries in a fire at his home on Monday night, the Jefferson County Coroner's Office said.

Adamsville Fire Rescue Chief Scott Harbison said the fire broke out about 8:45 p.m. Monday at a home on School Street. Chief Harbison said McShan's wife, Beatrice, told them it was started by two kerosene heaters.

"We had fire coming out of one room at the time, then it got in the attic on us. One person did get out on their own, we had to go in and bring the other person out. We did transport both to UAB Hospital," said Harbison.

Adamsville firefighters raced inside the burning home and pulled McShan out. He and his 72-year-old wife Beatrice were taken to UAB Hospital, where McShan later died.

Harbison says this is the first fire fatality in Adamsville in three years. By the time firefighters arrived, the heat and smoke made it difficult to reach him.

"As soon as we made our way in to the door, we encountered extreme heat, smoke and fire," Harbison said.

There is no update on Beatrice McShan's condition. The couple had lived in the home for more than 25 years, according to their son-in-law, Riley Holifield.

Tuesday, Holifield was trying to retrieve some things from the home that are dear to Beatrice McShan. He says she described to him how the fire broke out.

"[Arthur] was in the restroom, and she was coming through the front through the kitchen, and she says when she see the flame, it traveled fast and then it went in to the dining room, and then she heard something explode," Holifield said.

The state fire marshal will assist in the investigation of the fire.

Check back with this story for updates and watch FOX6 News at 5 for the latest information. You can watch on air, online at FoxAlabamaLive.com and through the WBRC News app.

Copyright 2014 WBRC.  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow