7-year-old girl writes book after mother's death - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

7-year-old girl writes book after mother's death

Shiloh Sanders talked about the inspiration behind her work. Shiloh Sanders talked about the inspiration behind her work.
"Shiloh's Prayer" is her first published work. "Shiloh's Prayer" is her first published work.
It was inspired by her mother before she died from lymphoma cancer in 2011. It was inspired by her mother before she died from lymphoma cancer in 2011.

(WMC-TV) - Most 7-year-old girls are playing dress up and reading books, but one Mid-South girl is the exception—not just reading but writing books.

Shiloh Sanders talked about the inspiration behind her work.

"I just started to write and print and do all this stuff," she said.

"Shiloh's Prayer" is her first published work. It was inspired by her mother before she died from lymphoma cancer in 2011.

"When I was a little baby, my mom and I would say the same prayer, 'Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray The Lord my soul to keep,' " she said.

She has lived with her grandparents since her mother's death. One night while saying her bedtime prayer Shiloh started asking about the prayer.

"I asked my grandmother who wrote this prayer. She did not have an answer for me. She said she said the same prayer when she was a little girl," said Shiloh.

Grandmother, Tammy Adolphus, encouraged her to write one. And to her surprise, Shiloh did just that.

"She says, 'That's an old prayer, and I think we need a new one,' " said Adolphus. "Because I love to pray and praise God and show what He created."

Shiloh's family has been through a lot since her mother died.

"It's been really hard for the past couple years, but now I've got my Grandma by my side it's good," said Shiloh.

But to her grandmother, Shiloh and her book have been a source of strength through it all.

"So when it got to the end, and my daughter did pass away, she says she lives with Jesus now," said Adolphus. "She took it in such a positive way even when the adults couldn't take it."

"Shiloh's Prayer" is in Barnes and Nobles bookstores. Her first book signing will take place on May 3 from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. at Barnes and Noble Booksellers on N. Germantown Parkway.

Copyright 2014 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.

• Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

After Craigslist scam, man can't enter his own home

Saturday, July 22 2017 8:29 PM EDT2017-07-23 00:29:14 GMT
    Saturday, July 22 2017 8:29 PM EDT2017-07-23 00:29:14 GMT

The people inside rented the home from a mystery person on Craiglist. As the law stands, because they refuse to leave, Keith Mills now has to go to court to prove he’s the rightful owner.

The people inside rented the home from a mystery person on Craiglist while owner Keith Mills was on vacation.. As the law stands, because the renters refuse to leave, Mills now has to go to court to prove he’s the rightful owner.

Police: Parents gave newborn drugs to cover up addiction

Sunday, July 23 2017 1:52 AM EDT2017-07-23 05:52:55 GMT
    Sunday, July 23 2017 1:52 AM EDT2017-07-23 05:52:55 GMT
    Colby Wilde, 29, and Lacey Christenson, 26, face four counts each of child endangerment and felony drug charges. (Source: Utah County Sherriff’s Office/KUTV/CNN)Colby Wilde, 29, and Lacey Christenson, 26, face four counts each of child endangerment and felony drug charges. (Source: Utah County Sherriff’s Office/KUTV/CNN)

The baby’s mother used heroin and prescription pain medication during her pregnancy, and the baby was born addicted to drugs, police say.

Restaurant's policy limits those with kids to one drink

Sunday, July 23 2017 2:50 PM EDT2017-07-23 18:50:46 GMT
    Sunday, July 23 2017 2:50 PM EDT2017-07-23 18:50:46 GMT

A long-standing rule at Peddlers Bar & Bistro limits anyone dining with children to one alcoholic beverage, in order to hopefully limit the danger children face from drunk drivers.