Pike Co. man loses everything in home fire - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Pike Co. man loses everything in home fire

Posted: Updated:
PIKE CO., AL (WSFA) -

A man who just wanted to watch his television is now homeless after a fire started in his Pike County home Monday morning.

Gregory Roberson tells WSFA 12 News he was watching TV at his Henderson community area home when the TV went off.

Roberson went to the home's breaker box and says when he tried to check the switch, he saw a spark. The spark quickly ignited the residence and Roberson tried to fight the growing flames, himself.

Once he realized he couldn't contain the blaze, he ran outside, forgetting his cellphone inside.

Roberson ran to a neighbor's house to use a telephone, but by the time he and firefighters could return, the house was fully involved in flames.

Roberson was the only person at the home at the time of the blaze and was not injured.

[SLIDESHOW: Pike County house fire]

The Henderson VFD and Goshen VFD fought the blaze, but the house is a total loss.

"My whole heart is in there," Roberson said. He'd lived in the house for decades.

The fire departments are trying to gather donations for the victim. He says he wears large shirts and pants with a size 34 waist, if anyone wishes to donate.

Copyright 2014 WSFA 12 News.  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow