Your purse is not the place where you think you might find some items that could poison your pet.
On Thursday's FOX19 Morning News, Diana Dornbusch Cron, a veterinarian at Glenway Animal Hospital in Green Township, shared some advice.
Here are five items commonly found in your purse that are bad for your pet:
• Xylitol, found in chewing gum and other artificially-sweetened products, can lead to a drop in blood sugar and eventually affects the liver and kidneys.
• Raisins might be the perfect compact snack but they can be very toxic to pets and ingestion leads to kidney failure.
• Inhalers contain albuterol and when a pet gets a hold of the inhaler, they can accidentally be exposed to massive amount of the drug which can lead to death.
• Human medications like NSAIDs including Advil, Aleve, and Motrin, acetaminophen including Tylenol, and antidepressants can cause a number of symptoms at varying degrees of severity.
• Hand sanitizer contains a large amount of alcohol which can cause a severe drop in blood sugar, neurological depression, coma and even death.
Copyright 2014 WXIX. All rights reserved.