Woman, 105, describes rescue from burning home - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Woman, 105, describes rescue from burning home

TONGANOXIE, KS (KCTV) -

Ann Elizabeth Jarrett believes God helped save her Tuesday morning from her blazing home. The 105-year-old woman can also thank her nephew, firefighters and her own fighting spirit.

"I'm just lucky that God was with me and he helped me," Jarrett said.

Jarrett is recovering at Lawrence Memorial Hospital after enduring carbon monoxide poisoning. She is in good spirits but definitely doesn't like to discuss how many years young she is.

The Tonganoxie home that she grew up in caught on fire just before 5 a.m. Tuesday.

Her nephew, Jackson Jarrett, lives next door to her residence in the 100 block of East Sixth Street. Jackson Jarrett woke up early Tuesday morning when he smelled smoke.

By the time he made it to his aunt's house, smoke was billowing from her attic and he couldn't get to her.

"I knew she was in the house. I tried to go in there myself and the smoke was way too thick," he said.

She was terrified after waking up to smoke and flames.

"I started to kind of cry and I said, 'Please come help me.' And I asked, 'God, please send somebody to help me,'" she said.

While waiting, she fought to stay alive.

"I just kept on hollering, 'Help me! Help me!'" she said recalled.  "I was thinking I'll be trapped in here and nobody will come to help me and I'll be gone. That's what I was thinking in my mind."

Firefighters did come and her cries for help led them to her. They quickly got her out to safety.

Her belongings are charred and now strewn across her lawn.

From her hospital bed, she especially wanted two possessions: her Bible and her dentures.

"She wants her dentures, so we went inside the house and was able to look through the debris. I've got her dentures. They're in the kitchen soaking, so that'll be my next move from here is make sure I get those delivered. She wanted her dentures," Jackson Jarrett said.

Ann Elizabeth Jarrett should be released from the hospital on Wednesday.

"Things definitely turned out to be a better story than it could have been today," Jackson Jarrett said. "So I'm extremely grateful and feeling blessed."

Ann Elizabeth Jarrett will need some help getting back on her feet. There is a fund set up in her name at the First State Bank of Tonganoxie, P.O. Box 219, Tonganoxie, KS 66086.

Firefighters are investigating what caused the fire.

Copyright 2014 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.

The Latest: Barbara Bush's casket wheeled out of church

Saturday, April 21 2018 10:44 AM EDT2018-04-21 14:44:47 GMT
    Saturday, April 21 2018 2:58 PM EDT2018-04-21 18:58:14 GMT
    (AP Photo/Evan Vucci). Attendees arrive at St. Martin's Episcopal Church for a funeral service for former first lady Barbara Bush, Saturday, April 21, 2018, in Houston.(AP Photo/Evan Vucci). Attendees arrive at St. Martin's Episcopal Church for a funeral service for former first lady Barbara Bush, Saturday, April 21, 2018, in Houston.

Guests have begun to arrive at St. Martin's Church in Houston for the funeral of former first lady Barbara Bush.

Barbara Bush was 'first lady of the greatest generation'

Saturday, April 21 2018 12:04 AM EDT2018-04-21 04:04:04 GMT
    Saturday, April 21 2018 2:57 PM EDT2018-04-21 18:57:58 GMT
    (AP Photo/Evan Vucci). Mourners pause as former U.S. first lady Barbara Bush lies in repose during the visitation of former first lady Barbara Bush at St. Martin's Episcopal Church, Friday, April 20, 2018, in Houston.(AP Photo/Evan Vucci). Mourners pause as former U.S. first lady Barbara Bush lies in repose during the visitation of former first lady Barbara Bush at St. Martin's Episcopal Church, Friday, April 20, 2018, in Houston.

As the outpouring of tributes continues for Barbara Bush, the general public can pay its respects to the former first lady.

Trump says he doesn't think personal lawyer will 'flip'

Saturday, April 21 2018 9:14 AM EDT2018-04-21 13:14:09 GMT
    Saturday, April 21 2018 2:56 PM EDT2018-04-21 18:56:25 GMT
    (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer, File). FILE - In a Monday, April 16, 2018, file photo, Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump's personal attorney, center, leaves federal court, in New York. Federal prosecutors said they can give President Donald Trump's person...(AP Photo/Mary Altaffer, File). FILE - In a Monday, April 16, 2018, file photo, Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump's personal attorney, center, leaves federal court, in New York. Federal prosecutors said they can give President Donald Trump's person...

President Donald Trump says he doesn't expect personal lawyer Michael Cohen to "flip" as the government investigates Cohen's business dealings.