Woman, 105, describes rescue from burning home - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Woman, 105, describes rescue from burning home

TONGANOXIE, KS (KCTV) -

Ann Elizabeth Jarrett believes God helped save her Tuesday morning from her blazing home. The 105-year-old woman can also thank her nephew, firefighters and her own fighting spirit.

"I'm just lucky that God was with me and he helped me," Jarrett said.

Jarrett is recovering at Lawrence Memorial Hospital after enduring carbon monoxide poisoning. She is in good spirits but definitely doesn't like to discuss how many years young she is.

The Tonganoxie home that she grew up in caught on fire just before 5 a.m. Tuesday.

Her nephew, Jackson Jarrett, lives next door to her residence in the 100 block of East Sixth Street. Jackson Jarrett woke up early Tuesday morning when he smelled smoke.

By the time he made it to his aunt's house, smoke was billowing from her attic and he couldn't get to her.

"I knew she was in the house. I tried to go in there myself and the smoke was way too thick," he said.

She was terrified after waking up to smoke and flames.

"I started to kind of cry and I said, 'Please come help me.' And I asked, 'God, please send somebody to help me,'" she said.

While waiting, she fought to stay alive.

"I just kept on hollering, 'Help me! Help me!'" she said recalled.  "I was thinking I'll be trapped in here and nobody will come to help me and I'll be gone. That's what I was thinking in my mind."

Firefighters did come and her cries for help led them to her. They quickly got her out to safety.

Her belongings are charred and now strewn across her lawn.

From her hospital bed, she especially wanted two possessions: her Bible and her dentures.

"She wants her dentures, so we went inside the house and was able to look through the debris. I've got her dentures. They're in the kitchen soaking, so that'll be my next move from here is make sure I get those delivered. She wanted her dentures," Jackson Jarrett said.

Ann Elizabeth Jarrett should be released from the hospital on Wednesday.

"Things definitely turned out to be a better story than it could have been today," Jackson Jarrett said. "So I'm extremely grateful and feeling blessed."

Ann Elizabeth Jarrett will need some help getting back on her feet. There is a fund set up in her name at the First State Bank of Tonganoxie, P.O. Box 219, Tonganoxie, KS 66086.

Firefighters are investigating what caused the fire.

Copyright 2014 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.

Conservative theologians accuse pope of spreading heresy

Saturday, September 23 2017 5:57 PM EDT2017-09-23 21:57:05 GMT
    Saturday, September 23 2017 7:49 PM EDT2017-09-23 23:49:17 GMT
    Pope Francis waves during his general audience a the Vatican Sept. 20..Dozens of theologians, priests and academics accuse him of spreading heresy with his 2016 opening to divorced and civilly married Catholics. (L'Osservatore Romano/Pool Photo via AP)Pope Francis waves during his general audience a the Vatican Sept. 20..Dozens of theologians, priests and academics accuse him of spreading heresy with his 2016 opening to divorced and civilly married Catholics. (L'Osservatore Romano/Pool Photo via AP)

Several dozen tradition-minded Roman Catholic theologians, priests and academics have formally accused Pope Francis of spreading heresy with his 2016 opening to divorced and civilly remarried Catholics.

New earthquake, magnitude 6.1, shakes jittery Mexico

Saturday, September 23 2017 12:36 AM EDT2017-09-23 04:36:18 GMT
    Saturday, September 23 2017 7:49 PM EDT2017-09-23 23:49:09 GMT

In the stylish Condesa neighborhood young revelers typically spill out from dimly lit bars and restaurants on a Friday night. But the first weekend since the 7.1-magnitude earthquake toppled buildings just blocks away began on a somber note.

South Korea says natural North Korea earthquake detected

Saturday, September 23 2017 5:56 AM EDT2017-09-23 09:56:13 GMT
    Saturday, September 23 2017 7:48 PM EDT2017-09-23 23:48:49 GMT

South Korea's weather agency says a magnitude 3.0 earthquake was detected in North Korea around where the country recently conducted a nuclear test, but it assessed the quake as natural.