Bogus beggar finds business booming in Louisville - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Bogus beggar finds business booming in Louisville

Gary Thompson Gary Thompson

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - So convincing, he cashes in on compassion. So bold, he got caught in his fake act outside of a Lexington Police press conference - about him.

"I appreciate you guys busting me," said Gary Thompson to reporters last year in Lexington. "Y'all really good at it, really good. I average about $100,000 a year doing this."

He told reporters then that he used to be a millionaire, receiving $2,500,000 in 1993 after being injured in a motorcycle crash. But he does not act mentally handicapped when he wants to. "If you can help me whenever I ask for money I won't act mental," Thompson said.

[PREVIOUS STORY: Scammer claiming disability arrives in Cincinnati]

"M, m, money," Thompson slurred, then smiled, "I gotta go y'all, gotta make some money."

Thompson has been jailed and chased all over Kentucky and was last seen in Cincinnati.

Guess where I spotted him recently?

Downtown Louisville. Aggressively panhandling at store entrances like McDonalds and Thorntons, or waving down people on Broadway. I recorded him clowning around, not wheelchair bound, on the WAVE 3 News station property.

[PREVIOUS STORY: Man accused of pretending to be handicapped for money pleads not guilty]

He changed clothes often to fit the situation.

A lot of the times he had help by people who wheeled him into position.

One day I recorded his group buying and selling small white pills or rocks, then walk to the nearest overpass and disappeared out of sight.

While I was following him, he started following me when he saw a guy in a tie.

[RELATEDSTORY: Homeless advocates: Stop giving beggars money]

"Please help, fell out of my wheelchair today, all my coins, somebody take it," Thompson said. "Need bus fare get back home."

I asked him what was wrong.

"Hit by truck 9-year-old, but I no hurt that bad, left side," he said.

I asked him his name.

"Gary Davis, nice to meet you," he said.

Then I pulled out a real camera and started recording.

"You're really Gary Thompson," I said. "My name is John Boel with WAVE, been watching you. You're the bogus beggar guy who makes $100,000 a year right? Yeah you are, got a degree in speech pathology, able to change your voice. I've seen all the stories on you."

"That's a lie," he said. "I don't want to be on camera. I never ask them nothing I going to Churchill Downs."

I told him he could be straight with me because I know his deal.

"Not doing no deal," he said. "Put me off camera don't want to be on camera. I don't do nothing wrong."

I asked him if it's true he burned through a $2,500,000 judgment in a lawsuit. He nodded yes, then said, "Not burn. Don't want to be on camera. I break it."

I asked him if he feels bad faking this act when there are people around him who are really suffering.

"I not faking nothing," he said.

He smiled and winked at me after I turned off both cameras. That confrontation, and his panhandling, all went on right in front of a police officer. Then Gary boarded a bus to move on to his next act.

Copyright 2014 WAVE 3 News. All rights reserved

Rachel Dolezal, who posed as black, accused of welfare fraud

Thursday, May 24 2018 9:02 PM EDT2018-05-25 01:02:28 GMT
    Friday, May 25 2018 1:17 AM EDT2018-05-25 05:17:55 GMT
    (AP Photo/Nicholas K. Geranios, File). FILE - In this March 20, 2017, file photo, Rachel Dolezal poses for a photo with her son, Langston, at the bureau of The Associated Press in Spokane, Wash. Dolezal, a former NAACP leader in Washington state whose ...(AP Photo/Nicholas K. Geranios, File). FILE - In this March 20, 2017, file photo, Rachel Dolezal poses for a photo with her son, Langston, at the bureau of The Associated Press in Spokane, Wash. Dolezal, a former NAACP leader in Washington state whose ...
    A former NAACP leader in Washington state whose life unraveled after she was outed as a white woman pretending to be black has been charged with welfare fraud.More >>

Jury recommends $25M in Johnson & Johnson lawsuit

Thursday, May 24 2018 4:42 PM EDT2018-05-24 20:42:21 GMT
    Friday, May 25 2018 1:17 AM EDT2018-05-25 05:17:39 GMT
    Johnson & Johnson said it's disappointed in the decision and will appeal. (Source: AP Photo/Tony Dejak)Johnson & Johnson said it's disappointed in the decision and will appeal. (Source: AP Photo/Tony Dejak)

A Southern California jury has ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay more than $25 million to a woman who claimed in a lawsuit that she developed cancer by using the company's talc-based baby powder.

Amazon: Echo device sent conversation to family's contact

Thursday, May 24 2018 5:52 PM EDT2018-05-24 21:52:19 GMT
    Friday, May 25 2018 1:17 AM EDT2018-05-25 05:17:28 GMT
    A woman says her Amazon device recorded a private conversation and sent it out to a random contact. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan, File)A woman says her Amazon device recorded a private conversation and sent it out to a random contact. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan, File)

Amazon says an "unlikely" string of events prompted its Echo personal assistant device to record a Portland, Oregon, family's private conversation and then send the recording to an acquaintance in Seattle.