Man in wheelchair goes on shooting spree, victim possibly injure - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Man in wheelchair goes on shooting spree, victim possibly injured

Mug shot of 25-year-old Jonathan Rosario-Cruz. (Springfield PD) Mug shot of 25-year-old Jonathan Rosario-Cruz. (Springfield PD)
Eight .22 caliber shell casings were recovered by police on Worthington Street. (Springfield PD) Eight .22 caliber shell casings were recovered by police on Worthington Street. (Springfield PD)
SPRINGFIELD, MA (WSHM) -

A man in a wheelchair allegedly fired eight shots while wheeling down Worthington Street Monday night, a shooting police are trying to connect to a victim who showed up at the hospital with a gunshot wound hours later.

A witness who was driving by told police that the suspect fired several shots in the air while near 873 Worthington St., and that he fled towards Spring Street, according to Springfield police Sgt. John Delaney.

The Springfield Police Department "shot spotter" was activated and confirmed that eight shots were fired in that area at about 10 p.m. Police converged on the area and found the suspect, later identified as 25-year-old Jonathan Rosario-Cruz, in the driveway of 785 Worthington St., Delaney said.

A .22 caliber Walther P22 handgun was confiscated from Rosario-Cruz after he informed police the weapon was in his back waistband. Police located eight .22 caliber shell casings where Rosario-Cruz allegedly fired the weapon, Delaney said.

It was not until after 1 a.m. that a 50-year-old male victim showed up at a Springfield emergency room with a gunshot wound to his abdomen, according to Delaney. 

The victim told police that he heard gunshots while walking near Worthington and Federal streets. He realized he had been shot, but said it was not serious and that he was able to remove the bullet fragment from his abdomen, Delaney said.

The victim said he threw the bullet away and then walked to the hospital. Detectives were attempting to locate the bullet and tie it to the shooting that was reported earlier in the night, Delaney said.

Police charged Rosario-Cruz, of 36 Summit St., Springfield, with possession of a firearm, possession of ammunition, discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a dwelling, and receiving stolen property, according to an arrest report.

The firearm was reported stolen in a housebreak in Springfield in January 2012, Delaney said.

Rosario-Cruz was held in Springfield lockup overnight pending his arraignment Tuesday.

Copyright 2014 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • NewsMore>>

  • Amanda: Extreme heat fades while rain coverage grows

    Amanda: Extreme heat fades while rain coverage grows

    Saturday, July 22 2017 6:47 PM EDT2017-07-22 22:47:43 GMT
    (Source: WSFA 12 News).(Source: WSFA 12 News).

    Our Saturday weather was right on par with what we have been dealing with across central and south Alabama all week long... it was hot (temperatures made their way into the low/mid 90s), it was humid (heat index values went above 100° in many towns) and we saw some relief from the heat thanks to a few isolated areas of rain.

    More >>

    Our Saturday weather was right on par with what we have been dealing with across central and south Alabama all week long... it was hot (temperatures made their way into the low/mid 90s), it was humid (heat index values went above 100° in many towns) and we saw some relief from the heat thanks to a few isolated areas of rain.

    More >>
  • tax-free holiday

    Alabama tax-free weekend now underway

    Alabama tax-free weekend now underway

    Saturday, July 22 2017 6:46 PM EDT2017-07-22 22:46:04 GMT
    (Source: WSFA 12 News)(Source: WSFA 12 News)

    If you're trying to take advantage of this year's tax-free weekend, the state of Alabama wants you to take note that the official holiday has been moved up a bit.  

    More >>

    If you're trying to take advantage of this year's tax-free weekend, the state of Alabama wants you to take note that the official holiday has been moved up a bit.  

    More >>
  • Trump: USS Ford is '100,000-ton message to the world'

    Trump: USS Ford is '100,000-ton message to the world'

    Saturday, July 22 2017 3:30 AM EDT2017-07-22 07:30:57 GMT
    Saturday, July 22 2017 6:42 PM EDT2017-07-22 22:42:25 GMT

    President Donald Trump will help commission the USS Gerald R. Ford, a $12.9 billion warship.

    More >>

    President Donald Trump will help commission the USS Gerald R. Ford, a $12.9 billion warship.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly