St. Jude patient shares memories of Robin Williams - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

St. Jude patient shares memories of Robin Williams

A former St. Jude patient who was in a commercial with Robin Williams is mourning the death of his friend. (Source: WMC Action News 5) A former St. Jude patient who was in a commercial with Robin Williams is mourning the death of his friend. (Source: WMC Action News 5)
The date Williams died was also the same day Sherman was diagnosed with leukemia six years ago. (Source: WMC Action News 5) The date Williams died was also the same day Sherman was diagnosed with leukemia six years ago. (Source: WMC Action News 5)
"I'd tell him that I really miss him and I wish that I could have that experience with him again. He was just a really great guy and he made a mark in my life," Ben said. (Source: WMC Action News 5) "I'd tell him that I really miss him and I wish that I could have that experience with him again. He was just a really great guy and he made a mark in my life," Ben said. (Source: WMC Action News 5)
In his third year cancer free, Ben lives his life to the fullest and hopes he'll see his friend again some day. (Source: StJude.org) In his third year cancer free, Ben lives his life to the fullest and hopes he'll see his friend again some day. (Source: StJude.org)

(WMC) - A former St. Jude patient who was in a commercial with Robin Williams is mourning the death of his friend.

Ben Sherman was all smiles in a St. Jude Children's Research Hospital commercial five years ago.

Monday's news of Williams' death produced a much different emotion.

"I didn't know what to do, I didn't say anything, I just went up to my room and cried," Ben said.

The date Williams died was also the same day Sherman was diagnosed with leukemia six years ago. During Ben's treatment, the two spent a whole day filming a commercial that made memories for a lifetime.

"The time that we spent together wasn't about making that commercial, it was about making my time off of treatment the best that it could be, and he did that," Ben explained.

Ben's mom, Jackie, says he was so young at the time, she had to go out and rent older movies and shows Williams was in before they met. She thought of Williams as a ‘funny man' until the day he spent with Ben.

"It was fantastic to see a star so huge like Robin Williams put everything aside for a day in his life and make that day just about my child," Jackie Sherman said.

"The only complaint that I had was the next day my cheeks hurt from laughing so much," Ben added.

Copyright 2014 WMC Action News 5. All rights reserved.

Congo says confirmed Ebola cases rise to 35, with 10 deaths

Saturday, May 26 2018 6:03 AM EDT2018-05-26 10:03:13 GMT
    Saturday, May 26 2018 7:55 AM EDT2018-05-26 11:55:26 GMT
    A vaccination campaign continues in Mbandaka, the city of 1.2 million where four Ebola cases have been confirmed. (Source: (Louise Annaud/Medecins Sans Frontieres via AP)A vaccination campaign continues in Mbandaka, the city of 1.2 million where four Ebola cases have been confirmed. (Source: (Louise Annaud/Medecins Sans Frontieres via AP)

Congo says confirmed Ebola cases rise to 35, with 10 deaths, as vaccinations continue.

The Latest: North and South Korean leaders meet again

Saturday, May 26 2018 7:23 AM EDT2018-05-26 11:23:24 GMT
    Saturday, May 26 2018 7:55 AM EDT2018-05-26 11:55:48 GMT

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and South Korean President Moon Jae-in have met for the second time in a month to discuss peace commitments they reached in their first summit and Kim's potential meeting with President Donald Trump.

Subtropical Storm Alberto still chugging toward Gulf

Saturday, May 26 2018 5:23 AM EDT2018-05-26 09:23:12 GMT
    Saturday, May 26 2018 7:53 AM EDT2018-05-26 11:53:34 GMT
    A gradual strengthening is expected through the weekend as Alberto moves north. (Source: NOAA/CIRA/RAMMB/CNN)A gradual strengthening is expected through the weekend as Alberto moves north. (Source: NOAA/CIRA/RAMMB/CNN)

A storm moving slowly through the Caribbean Sea is threatening to bring heavy rainfall, mudslides, and flash floods to parts of Mexico, Cuba, Florida and the eastern U.S. Gulf Coast this weekend.