Glen Galemmo: Ponzi scheme mastermind sentenced to 15 years - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Ponzi scheme mastermind sentenced to 15 years in prison

Glen Galemmo received the maximum sentence of 188 months in federal prison and must pay $35 million in restitution, a judge ruled Thursday. (FOX19 NOW file photo) Glen Galemmo received the maximum sentence of 188 months in federal prison and must pay $35 million in restitution, a judge ruled Thursday. (FOX19 NOW file photo)
CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) -

Glen Galemmo, the man behind one of the largest Ponzi schemes in Ohio history, was sentenced to 15 years in prison Thursday.

U.S. District Judge Herman J. Weber gave Galemmo the maximum sentence of 188 months in federal prison. Galemmo must also pay $35 million in restitution.

Galemmo pleaded guilty in January, admitting that he took millions of dollars from investors but never invested it. According to court records, the amount was somewhere between $7 and $20 million -- with as many as 200 victims.

Related: FOX19 Investigates: Man at center of massive Ponzi scheme admits guilt

Authorities said the financial crimes began in 2008. In 2013, the Internal Revenue Service seized control of Galemmo's business, Queen City Investments.

A dozen former investors in Queen City Investments made emotional pleas in a federal courtroom this week as part of a sentencing hearing, sharing the impact the monetary loss has had on their lives.

On Wednesday, former investor John Rush told the judge there are two different Galemmo's.

He stated the first is the "Honorable Glen Galemmo," a man he considered a friend for nearly 15 years and invested with for more than a decade. Rush also referred to what he calls the "Duplicitous Glen Galemmo," who he said deceived and defrauded more than 140 investors. 

"The domino effect of his actions is deep and wide," Rush told the court.

EXCLUSIVE: Glen Galemmo at center of alleged Ponzi scheme speaks out

Galemmo asked for a shorter prison sentence for his crimes last week. Court records show Galemmo's attorneys believed a 6-year sentence would be sufficient, but not excessive.

U.S. attorneys asked for the maximum sentence of 188 months.

Copyright 2014 WXIX. All rights reserved.

  • NewsMore>>

  • Dem, GOP leaders to get classified briefings on Russia probe

    Dem, GOP leaders to get classified briefings on Russia probe

    Thursday, May 24 2018 12:42 AM EDT2018-05-24 04:42:28 GMT
    Thursday, May 24 2018 11:56 AM EDT2018-05-24 15:56:13 GMT
    (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin). In this May 23, 2018, photo, President Donald Trump speaks to the media before boarding the Marine One helicopter on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington. Two House lawmakers who are allies of President Donald Tr...(AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin). In this May 23, 2018, photo, President Donald Trump speaks to the media before boarding the Marine One helicopter on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington. Two House lawmakers who are allies of President Donald Tr...

    A briefing Thursday about classified documents will be for just two Republican House members, both Trump allies, as Trump and his supporters in Congress press for information on the outside informant.

    More >>

    A briefing Thursday about classified documents will be for just two Republican House members, both Trump allies, as Trump and his supporters in Congress press for information on the outside informant.

    More >>
  • Trump cancels North Korea summit, blaming 'tremendous anger and open hostility'

    Trump cancels North Korea summit, blaming 'tremendous anger and open hostility'

    Thursday, May 24 2018 9:50 AM EDT2018-05-24 13:50:52 GMT
    Thursday, May 24 2018 11:55 AM EDT2018-05-24 15:55:43 GMT

    "Sadly, based on the tremendous anger and open hostility displayed in your most recent statement, I feel it is inappropriate, at this time, to have this long-planned meeting," according to a statement released by the White House on Thursday.

    More >>

    "Sadly, based on the tremendous anger and open hostility displayed in your most recent statement, I feel it is inappropriate, at this time, to have this long-planned meeting," according to a statement released by the White House on Thursday.

    More >>
  • What's next? NFL sparks new questions with anthem policy

    What's next? NFL sparks new questions with anthem policy

    Thursday, May 24 2018 2:32 AM EDT2018-05-24 06:32:12 GMT
    Thursday, May 24 2018 11:54 AM EDT2018-05-24 15:54:22 GMT
    (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez, File). FILE - In this Monday, Sept. 12, 2016, file photo, San Francisco 49ers safety Eric Reid (35) and quarterback Colin Kaepernick (7) kneel during the national anthem before an NFL football game against the Los Angeles...(AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez, File). FILE - In this Monday, Sept. 12, 2016, file photo, San Francisco 49ers safety Eric Reid (35) and quarterback Colin Kaepernick (7) kneel during the national anthem before an NFL football game against the Los Angeles...

    With its popularity threatened and critics stretching all the way to the White House, the NFL tries to get past the debate over taking a knee during the national anthem but seems to muddle the issue even more.

    More >>

    With its popularity threatened and critics stretching all the way to the White House, the NFL tries to get past the debate over taking a knee during the national anthem but seems to muddle the issue even more.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly