4 Servings, about 1 cup each
Green pepper, chopped - 1/4 cup
Canned vegetarian beans - 1 3/4 cups
Canned kidney beans, red, drained - 1 3/4 cups
Catsup - 2 tablespoons
Molasses - 2 tablespoons
Dried onion - 1/2 teaspoon
1. Place all ingredients in saucepan and heat thoroughly, about 10 minutes.
1. Place all ingredients in microwave-safe bowl. Cover with waxed paper. Cook on high; stirring every 2 minutes; cook about 5 minutes.
Preparation time:5 minutes
Cooking time: 5 to 10 minutes
Total fat 1 gram
Saturated fat Trace
Sodium 916 milligrams
4 Servings, about 1 1/2 cups each
Potatoes - 2 pounds
Margarine - 2 tablespoons
Onions, sliced - 1 cup
Flour - 3 tablespoons
Pepper - 1 /4 teaspoon
Whole milk - 2 cups
1. Wash potatoes; peel and slice into thin slices.
2. Melt 1 tablespoon of margarine in heavy, deep skillet. Remove skillet from heat; spread half of potato slices in skillet.
3. Cover potatoes with onions. Sprinkle half of flour and pepper over potato mixture.
4. Add remaining potato slices, flour, and pepper. Cut 1 tablespoon of margarine into small pieces and place on top of potato mixture.
5. Pour milk over potato mixture; bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and cook until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Total fat 10 grams
Saturated fat 4 grams
Cholesterol 17 milligrams
Sodium 139 milligrams
4 Servings, about 6 ounces each
Potatoes - 1 1 /2 pounds
Vegetable oil - 3 tablespoons
Salt - 1/4 teaspoon
Pepper - 1/4 teaspoon
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Wash potatoes; cut lengthwise into thin strips.
3. Combine remaining ingredients in plastic bag. Put potatoes in bag; seal; shake to coat potatoes.
4. Arrange potatoes in single layer on baking sheet.
5. Bake until crisp and golden, about 30 minutes.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Total fat 14 grams
Saturated fat 2 grams
Sodium 156 milligrams
4 Servings, about 3 tablespoons each, plus 4 servings for another meal or snack.
Canned chickpeas, drained - One 15 1/2-ounce can
Vegetable oil - 2 tablespoons
Lemon juice - 1 tablespoon
Onions, chopped - 2 tablespoons
Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
1. Mash chickpeas in a small bowl until they are smooth.
2. Add oil and lemon juice; stir to combine.
3. Add chopped onions and salt.
4. Serve on bread or crackers.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Note: Garbanzo bean is another name for chickpea.