London police briefing on Friday's arrests - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

London police briefing on Friday's arrests

Press conference 29 July, 19:15

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Peter Clarke, Head of the Metropolitan Police Anti-Terrorist Branch, speaking at QEII Conference Centre at 7.15pm on 29 July 2005

Good evening.

May I start please by repeating my thanks to the public for their support and assistance during the investigations into the attacks in London on 7 and 21 July.

Today has been a day of intense activity. The investigation continues to develop at great speed. There have been important developments today in respect of the attacks on 21 July.

In particular, today we have conducted operations at two residential addresses in west London.  From those addresses a total of three men were arrested.

One man was arrested in Tavistock Crescent, London, W11. He will be questioned in relation to the attacks in London on 21 July.

Two men were arrested who had been in a flat in Peabody Buildings, Dalgarno Gardens, London, W10.  One of these men has identified himself to police as Ibrahim Muktar Said. The other man has said that his name is Ramzi Mohammed.

During the course of the operation it was necessary to ask some residents to move away from the immediate area. We do apologise for any inconvenience that was caused, but as always the safety of the public was paramount. We would like to thank the public in that area for their co-operation. The men in the premises at Peabody Buildings were asked to surrender to police, but failed to do so. As a result, and in order to minimise any potential risk to the public and to the police officers conducting the operation, specialist tactics were used.

The premises will now be thoroughly searched, and that is a process that will take some time.

I can also confirm that another man of interest to the investigation has been detained in Rome. We have been liaising very closely with the Italian authorities. A European Arrest Warrant has been issued and we will be seeking the return of the man to this country under the authority of that warrant. The man who has been arrested in Rome and who is named on the warrant has been identified as Hussain Osman.

The safety of the public is always our first concern. We also of course have a duty to investigate and bring to justice those who break the law.  I must be very careful not say anything which could prejudice the right of any individual to receive a fair trial.  To that end I am not able to give more information this evening; nor to answer questions.

The investigation has moved with some speed, but I must emphasise it is still continuing. It is dynamic, complex and wide-ranging. There will be more very visible police activity. I cannot for obvious reasons set out where and when this will be, but I am grateful for the continuing support and understanding of the public as these operations continue.

Despite the progress that has been made with the investigation, we must not be complacent. The threat remains, and is very real. The public must be watchful and alert. I would like to reassure the public that we are doing all we can to keep you safe.

We do continue with our appeal for any information concerning the four men whose images we released earlier in this investigation. We would also still like to hear from anyone who has any information about either of the attacks on the London transport network. I would urge anyone who believes they can help our investigations to contact the confidential Anti-Terrorist Hotline on 0800 789 321.

   Bulletin 0000000246 29 July 2005    

London Metropolitan Police Service
Powered by Frankly