Homemade grill blamed for Montgomery fire that killed 1 - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Homemade grill blamed for Montgomery fire that killed 1

One person was killed in a fire at a Montgomery home Monday night. (Source: WSFA 12 News) One person was killed in a fire at a Montgomery home Monday night. (Source: WSFA 12 News)
One person was killed in a fire at a Montgomery home Monday night. (Source: WSFA 12 News) One person was killed in a fire at a Montgomery home Monday night. (Source: WSFA 12 News)
MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA) -

Montgomery Fire Department officials say a man who was killed Monday evening in a house fire on North California Street in the Capital Heights neighborhood died of smoke inhalation. The victim's name has yet to be released.

MFR Sgt. OJ Whiting said a call came in around 6:05 p.m. about a fire on North California Street. Responding crews found heavy smoke and flames coming from the attic area of the single-story structure.

While trying to get to the attic, crews found heavy fire and a lot of debris as the blaze rapidly progressed. It took crews 25 minutes to get the blaze under control. 

Bystanders told crews there was possibly a victim inside the home. A small dog was rescued and revived after receiving oxygen. Shortly afterward, crews found the victim, a man possibly in his sixties, in a bedroom. He was pronounced dead on the scene. 

An investigation found the fire was accidental. It started when flames from a homemade outdoor charcoal grill that was left unattended near the house spread to the side of the residence and then into the attic.

The home sustained extensive smoke and fire damage and is considered a total loss.

An investigation is ongoing.

Copyright 2018 WSFA 12 News. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly