Dish has to pay $61M for illegal telemarketing; you can see if y - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Dish has to pay $61M for illegal telemarketing; you can see if you're eligible

The max award per person is $1,200. (AP Photo/Paul Sakuma, File) The max award per person is $1,200. (AP Photo/Paul Sakuma, File)

(RNN) – There are 18,066 owners of phone numbers across the country entitled to a portion of a $61 million class action telemarketing judgment against Dish Network, and there’s an easy way to see if you're included.

The cash award is intended for individuals who were on the national Do Not Call Registry, yet were still contacted by Dish telemarketers between May 11, 2010 and Aug. 1, 2011.

According to the legal firm which handled the case, 51,119 calls were made to the more than 18,000 numbers affected between those time frames.

The firm, Kurtzman Carson Consultants, says on a page outlining the case that the max award per person is $1,200.

They have set up a page where you can input your phone number and see if you are eligible for the judgment.

CLICK HERE: See if your phone number is eligible

If your number is eligible, you may submit a payment claim. The claim period ends on June 18.

The case was submitted by a man named Thomas Krakauer in North Carolina in 2014. The jury determined Dish was responsible for a telemarketing agency illegally making calls to numbers on the Do Not Call Registry on its behalf.

Kurtzman Carson Consultants warns that, pending appeals, payments likely won’t happen for another 6 to 12 months.

Last year Dish also reached a $280 million settlement for the same violation, in the largest ever Do Not Call Registry-related penalty, with the Department of Justice, the Federal Trade Commission, and attorneys general from four states.

In that case, the court found that Dish “created a situation in which unscrupulous sales persons used illegal practices to sell Dish Network programming any way they could.”

“Dish’s denial of responsibility and lack of regard for consumers are deeply disturbing,” the ruling said.

Copyright 2018 Raycom News Network. All rights reserved.

  • Entertainment NewsEntertainment NewsMore>>

  • Officials: Weinstein to surrender in sexual misconduct probe

    Officials: Weinstein to surrender in sexual misconduct probe

    Friday, May 25 2018 12:22 AM EDT2018-05-25 04:22:30 GMT
    Friday, May 25 2018 7:04 AM EDT2018-05-25 11:04:16 GMT
    (Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP, File). FILE - In this Jan. 8, 2017, file photo, Harvey Weinstein arrives at The Weinstein Company and Netflix Golden Globes afterparty in Beverly Hills, Calif. Law enforcement officials say Weinstein is expected to...(Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP, File). FILE - In this Jan. 8, 2017, file photo, Harvey Weinstein arrives at The Weinstein Company and Netflix Golden Globes afterparty in Beverly Hills, Calif. Law enforcement officials say Weinstein is expected to...

    Harvey Weinstein is expected to turn himself in to police in New York City early Friday following a seven-month investigation into sexual assault allegations.

    More >>

    Harvey Weinstein is expected to turn himself in to police in New York City early Friday following a seven-month investigation into sexual assault allegations.

    More >>
  • Michelle Obama unveils cover for upcoming memoir

    Michelle Obama unveils cover for upcoming memoir

    Thursday, May 24 2018 12:12 PM EDT2018-05-24 16:12:59 GMT
    Friday, May 25 2018 7:04 AM EDT2018-05-25 11:04:01 GMT
    (Crown Publishing Group via AP). This cover image released by Crown Publishing Group shows "Becoming," by Michelle Obama, which comes out Nov. 13.(Crown Publishing Group via AP). This cover image released by Crown Publishing Group shows "Becoming," by Michelle Obama, which comes out Nov. 13.
    Michelle Obama has a picture to share: On Thursday, the former first lady unveiled the cover for her upcoming memoir "Becoming.".More >>
    Michelle Obama has a picture to share: On Thursday, the former first lady unveiled the cover for her upcoming memoir "Becoming.".More >>
  • Rose McGowan on Weinstein: 'One win is a win for all of us'

    Rose McGowan on Weinstein: 'One win is a win for all of us'

    Thursday, May 24 2018 11:02 PM EDT2018-05-25 03:02:32 GMT
    Friday, May 25 2018 7:03 AM EDT2018-05-25 11:03:58 GMT
    Actress Rose McGowan says she's 'still in shock' that Harvey Weinstein will finally be appearing in court in New York City, and she sees it as a win for all of the women who have accused him of sexual misconduct.More >>
    Actress Rose McGowan says she's 'still in shock' that Harvey Weinstein will finally be appearing in court in New York City, and she sees it as a win for all of the women who have accused him of sexual misconduct.More >>
Powered by Frankly