Tick-borne illness victim: 'People need to know about this' - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Tick-borne illness victim: 'People need to know about this'

(Source: WAFF) (Source: WAFF)
(WAFF) -

We're headed into the summer months, and that means you'll probably spend more time outside. But that comes with risks: ticks on you, your kids, or your pets.

A tick bite can get you sick, which is something Jeff Ponzini knows well.

"I’m in the outdoors a lot. I’m in the woods, I’m in the wild settings, and I’ve actually contracted Rocky Mountain spotted fever," Ponzini said.

Ponzini said his job revolves around the outdoors, and his passion outside work is archery, another outdoor sport.

"It is a real problem with me because I live in the outdoors. I eat, breathe, sleep it, not only with work, but with my passion,” he said.

Ponzini said he pulled a tick off of himself a couple weeks ago. He didn't think much of it until he saw a bull's-eye-like rash around the bite.

"I went to my doctor and he confirmed. He thought it was Lyme disease because of the targeting around bite. My symptoms were similar to that.  After the blood work, it was confirmed Rocky Mountain spotted fever,” Ponzini said.

A Huntsville Hospital physician assistant confirms she's seen a lot of tick bites into her clinic recently.

"I would say over the past month or so I’ve seen a lot of tick bites coming into the clinic," Kathryn Limbaugh said.

The CDC has a lot of research on ticks and their illnesses on its website. Data from 2014 shows tick cases are most commonly reported in the summer months. And as far as Rocky Mountain spotted fever goes, Alabama is one of the most prevalent states.

"Some of the symptoms we’re concerned about associated with tick-borne illnesses, such as Lyme disease or Rocky Mountain spotted fever, are joint pain; general fatigue; not feeling very well; abdominal pain; nausea and vomiting,” Limbaugh said. “With Rocky Mountain you can develop a high fever, especially if you find a rash on your ankles or hands."

A good way to combat the threat? Bug spray. Ponzini said he's loaded up on it now and will never go outside in the yard or woods without it again.

"I’m tired. I don't have the energy I need to continue my job. I hurt continually. People need to know about this,” Ponzini said.

Copyright 2018 WAFF. All rights reserved.

Report an Error | Submit a Tip to WAFF 48

Trump says he 'won't let' social media target conservatives

Saturday, August 18 2018 9:48 AM EDT2018-08-18 13:48:43 GMT
    Saturday, August 18 2018 6:20 PM EDT2018-08-18 22:20:06 GMT
    President Donald Trump boards Air Force One at Andrews Air Force Base, Md., Friday, Aug. 17, 2018. (Source: AP Photo/Pablo MartinPresident Donald Trump boards Air Force One at Andrews Air Force Base, Md., Friday, Aug. 17, 2018. (Source: AP Photo/Pablo Martin

President Donald Trump is accusing social media companies of "totally discriminating against Republican/Conservative voices" and says he "we won't let that happen.".

Italy's leader demands safe roads; bridge toll rises to 43

Saturday, August 18 2018 4:10 AM EDT2018-08-18 08:10:33 GMT
    Saturday, August 18 2018 6:19 PM EDT2018-08-18 22:19:32 GMT
    (Luca Zennaro/ANSA via AP). Firefighters remove debris of the collapsed Morandi highway bridge in Genoa, Italy, Thursday, Aug. 16, 2018. Italian authorities have lowered the death to 38 from 39 in the collapse of a highway bridge in Genoa. Genoa Prefec...(Luca Zennaro/ANSA via AP). Firefighters remove debris of the collapsed Morandi highway bridge in Genoa, Italy, Thursday, Aug. 16, 2018. Italian authorities have lowered the death to 38 from 39 in the collapse of a highway bridge in Genoa. Genoa Prefec...

Italian media say three more bodies have been found in the rubble of the Genoa bridge collapse, raising the death toll to 41.

Former UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan dies at age 80

Saturday, August 18 2018 6:00 AM EDT2018-08-18 10:00:29 GMT
    Saturday, August 18 2018 6:19 PM EDT2018-08-18 22:19:24 GMT
    Former U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan has died at the age of 80. (AP Photo/Richard Drew)Former U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan has died at the age of 80. (AP Photo/Richard Drew)

Kofi Annan, one of the world's most celebrated diplomats and a charismatic symbol of the United Nations who rose through its ranks to become the first black African secretary-general, has died.