Montgomery to reopen facility, get back into recycling - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Montgomery to reopen facility, get back into recycling

The state-of-the-art Infinitus Renewable Energy Park, or IREP, recycling facility opened in April 2014 and closed in October 2015. (Source: WSFA 12 News) The state-of-the-art Infinitus Renewable Energy Park, or IREP, recycling facility opened in April 2014 and closed in October 2015. (Source: WSFA 12 News)
Montgomery will deal with Repower South to get the recycling facility up and running. The project is expected to provide 50 new jobs when the plant is fully operational towards the end of 2018. (Source: WSFA 12 News) Montgomery will deal with Repower South to get the recycling facility up and running. The project is expected to provide 50 new jobs when the plant is fully operational towards the end of 2018. (Source: WSFA 12 News)
Montgomery Sanitation employees will begin using the Rubicon hauler mobile app, as well as plug-in devices and Rubicon's desktop portal, to improve customer service. (Source: WSFA 12 News) Montgomery Sanitation employees will begin using the Rubicon hauler mobile app, as well as plug-in devices and Rubicon's desktop portal, to improve customer service. (Source: WSFA 12 News)
MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA) -

Recycling is back in Montgomery, Mayor Todd Strange announced at a press conference Tuesday.

Repower South, a group currently developing a $50 million recycling and recovery facility in South Carolina, is investing $12 million to get the city back into recycling in a previously used facility. The facility will be called the City of Montgomery Recycling and Recovery Facility and will be housed in the former Infinitus Renewable Energy Park facility.  

The project is expected to provide 50 new jobs when the plant is fully operational towards the end of 2018. The project will also come at no additional cost the city, according to Mayor Strange.  

The state-of-the-art Infinitus Renewable Energy Park, or IREP, recycling facility opened in April 2014 and closed in October 2015. Owners cited commodity prices as the reason for the closure.

After lengthy negotiations in bankruptcy court, Montgomery purchased the facility for $750,000, not including other taxes and fees, and directly assumed the debt service for the building, which totaled about $29 million.  

The city expects to divert more than 50 percent of the waste processed by Montgomery Sanitation, extending the life of the landfill. The project will also help Maxwell AFB meet federal mandates they have to recycle. 

Montgomery has also announced a partnership with Rubicon Global to enhance its waste services, using the RUBICONSmartCity. Rubicon is a technology company that provides waste, recycling, and smart city solutions to businesses and governments worldwide.  

Montgomery Sanitation employees will begin using the Rubicon hauler mobile app, as well as plug-in devices and Rubicon's desktop portal, to improve customer service; the technology will provide the city with planning data, giving information on sanitation operations. According to a press release sent out by the city, the data will help officials understand how to improve efficiency and quality of service. 

The data will track sanitation vehicle patterns, routing and other features. 

“Rubicon Global is thrilled to be an important partner in Montgomery’s newest wave of initiatives to help boost its environmental leadership and smart city 
strategy,” said Michael Allegretti, SVP of Policy & Strategic Initiatives for Rubicon. “We hope the use of Rubicon’s technology allows the city to more seamlessly serve its residents and improve their quality of life by making communities more sustainable.”

Montgomery Sanitation Division's fleet of 80 waste vehicles services more than 61,000 residences, about 200,000 residents. The city began the Cenergistic Energy Program in March 2016, which Strange said has saved Montgomery Facilities $1.2 million.

Copyright 2018 WSFA 12 News. All rights reserved.

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Gunman in Trader Joe's standoff surrenders, 1 killed

    Gunman in Trader Joe's standoff surrenders, 1 killed

    Saturday, July 21 2018 7:44 PM EDT2018-07-21 23:44:18 GMT
    Saturday, July 21 2018 10:20 PM EDT2018-07-22 02:20:19 GMT
    The suspect handcuffed himself and surrendered to police three hours after it all began.The suspect handcuffed himself and surrendered to police three hours after it all began.

    Police confirm the suspect shot his grandmother and a woman at another location, then took his grandmother's car. He also took the wounded woman with him.

    More >>

    Police confirm the suspect shot his grandmother and a woman at another location, then took his grandmother's car. He also took the wounded woman with him.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly