Roy Moore the latest to be targeted by Sasha Baron Cohen - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Roy Moore the latest to be targeted by Sasha Baron Cohen

MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA) -

Former Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore is the latest well-known conservative name to be targeted by comedian Sasha Baron Cohen in the Showtime show "WHO IS AMERICA?".

A 5-minute clip featuring Moore in an interview with Gen. Erran Morad, an "anti-terror expert" portrayed by Cohen, ends with Moore getting up and walking out after the comedian tries to use a scanner on him he says detects sex offenders.

Moore, who ran unsuccessfully for Alabama's open U.S. Senate seat, lost the election while fighting sexual allegations from several then-teen girls in the 1970s and 1980s. Moore has denied the allegations. Lawsuits are still pending on both sides.

Prior to the episode's airing, Moore confirmed he was interviewed and said he was set up while attending a pro-Isreal in Washington, D.C. earlier in the year.

Moore has threatened a lawsuit against Cohen.

Other conservative voices including former Vice President Dick Cheney and vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin have also been targeted by the show. 

A Georgia state legislator has announced his resignation in the wake of a Cohen interview in which he was convinced to drop his pants and yell racial words during an interview with Cohen.

Moore's full statement prior to the segment's broadcast reads:

"In February 2018, I was invited to Washington D. C. to receive an award for my strong support of Israel in commemoration of her 70th anniversary as a nation. Because Alabama has always been at the forefront of support of Israel and because I share a strong belief in God as the Creator and Sustainer of all life, as does Israel, I eventually accepted the invitation. Expenses were paid, and I received no private remuneration for my time or participation. I did not know Sacha Cohen or that a Showtime TV series was being planned to embarrass, humiliate, and mock not only Israel, but also religious conservatives such as Sarah Palin, Joe Walsh, and Dick Cheney.

I do not apologize for my belief in God or the common religious and cultural heritage that Israel shares with America.

As an Alabamian, I believe in truth and honesty, which the shadowy media groups behind this illicit scheme do not. Obviously, people like Cohen who mock not only Israel but those who support Israel and the principles upon which America is based, do not share my beliefs. 

I don’t need Sacha Cohen to tell me who America is, but I can tell him that America is a proud Nation which sprang from humble beginnings and a strong belief in God, virtue, and morality.

As an American, I would never hide my identity and deceive others only to mock and ridicule them as this Showtime Series is designed to do. America is not only about being proud but about being brave and standing for what we believe.

I am involved in several court cases presently to defend my honor and character against vicious false political attacks by liberals like Cohen. If Showtime airs a defamatory attack on my character, I may very well be involved in another. As for Mr. Cohen, whose art is trickery, deception, and dishonesty, Alabama does not respect cowards who exhibit such traits! It’s been a long time since I fought for my country in Vietnam. I’m ready to defend her again!"

Copyright 2018 WSFA 12 News. All rights reserved.

  • NewsMore>>

  • US deports 95-year-old ex-Nazi guard to Germany

    US deports 95-year-old ex-Nazi guard to Germany

    Tuesday, August 21 2018 4:18 AM EDT2018-08-21 08:18:16 GMT
    Wednesday, August 22 2018 1:25 AM EDT2018-08-22 05:25:57 GMT
    The deportation of the 95-year-old former concentration camp guard, Jakiw Palij, came 25 years after investigators first confronted him about his World War II past and he admitted lying to get into the U.S. (Source: Department of Justice)The deportation of the 95-year-old former concentration camp guard, Jakiw Palij, came 25 years after investigators first confronted him about his World War II past and he admitted lying to get into the U.S. (Source: Department of Justice)

    The White House says a 95-year-old former Nazi concentration camp guard has been deported to Germany, 14 years after a judge ordered him deported.

    More >>

    The White House says a 95-year-old former Nazi concentration camp guard has been deported to Germany, 14 years after a judge ordered him deported.

    More >>
  • Trump says he 'won't let' social media target conservatives

    Trump says he 'won't let' social media target conservatives

    Saturday, August 18 2018 9:48 AM EDT2018-08-18 13:48:43 GMT
    Wednesday, August 22 2018 1:22 AM EDT2018-08-22 05:22:08 GMT
    President Donald Trump boards Air Force One at Andrews Air Force Base, Md., Friday, Aug. 17, 2018. (Source: AP Photo/Pablo MartinPresident Donald Trump boards Air Force One at Andrews Air Force Base, Md., Friday, Aug. 17, 2018. (Source: AP Photo/Pablo Martin

    President Donald Trump is accusing social media companies of "totally discriminating against Republican/Conservative voices" and says he "we won't let that happen.".

    More >>

    President Donald Trump is accusing social media companies of "totally discriminating against Republican/Conservative voices" and says he "we won't let that happen.".

    More >>
  • Father of slain Colorado woman sobs, seethes in courtroom

    Father of slain Colorado woman sobs, seethes in courtroom

    Tuesday, August 21 2018 12:15 AM EDT2018-08-21 04:15:23 GMT
    Wednesday, August 22 2018 1:19 AM EDT2018-08-22 05:19:45 GMT
    Christopher Watts, 33, faces three first-degree murder charges, two counts of murdering a child under 12, one count of unlawful termination of a pregnancy and three counts of tampering with a deceased human body. (Source: Weld County Sheriff/KMGH/CNN)Christopher Watts, 33, faces three first-degree murder charges, two counts of murdering a child under 12, one count of unlawful termination of a pregnancy and three counts of tampering with a deceased human body. (Source: Weld County Sheriff/KMGH/CNN)

    The father of two told police in court papers released Monday that he killed his pregnant wife after witnessing her strangling one of the girls on a baby monitor.

    More >>

    The father of two told police in court papers released Monday that he killed his pregnant wife after witnessing her strangling one of the girls on a baby monitor.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly