HRES 688 IH
Mr. BAIRD submitted the following resolution; which was referred to the Committee on Rules
- (1) Modernize the operations of the House of Representatives using information technology that has transformed and increased the efficiency of many aspects of American society such as financial services and markets, transportation, manufacturing, agriculture, and commerce with consumers and businesses.
- (2) Slow the explosive growth of the $8,000,000,000,000 national debt of the United States, reduce excessive annual budget deficits, and control the size and scope of government by ensuring that there is adequate scrutiny of proposals for new and amended laws, taxes, and expenditures.
- (3) Enhance public participation in American democracy and improve the quality of proposed legislation by allowing the opportunity for its review by State and local government officials, small business owners, large business leaders, journalists, scientists, academics, labor leaders, nonprofit organization leaders, authors of weblogs, and interested citizens.
- (4) Help restore public trust in government and enhance respect for the House of Representatives and the Congress by ensuring that their operations are conducted with the openness, order, and dignity befitting the world's oldest democracy.
- (1) in its side heading, by inserting `legislation and' before `reports';
- (2) by striking subparagraph (1) and inserting the following new subparagraph:
- (3) by adding at the end of paragraph (a) the following new subparagraph:
- (4) in paragraph (c), by striking `the third calendar day' and inserting `at least 72 hours' and by striking `on' and inserting `after'.
- (1) in clause 5(b), by striking `and the Resident Commissioner' and inserting `the Resident Commissioner, and the general public'; and
- (2) in clause 6(c), by striking `or' at the end of subparagraph (1), by striking the period at the end of subparagraph (2) and inserting a semicolon, and by adding at the end the following new subparagraphs:
- `(3) a rule or order proposing a waiver of clause 4(a) of rule XIII or of clause 8(a) or 8(b) of rule XXII, unless a question of consideration of the rule is adopted by a vote of two-thirds of the Members voting, a quorum being present; or
- `(4) a rule or order proposing a waiver of subparagraph (3), unless a question of consideration of the rule is adopted by a vote of two-thirds of the Members voting, a quorum being present.'.
- (1) by striking subparagraph (a) and inserting the following new paragraph:
- (2) in paragraph (b), by striking subparagraphs (1) and (2) and inserting the following new subparagraphs: