MONTGOMERY, Ala. - Prosecutors in the government corruption trial of former Governor Don Siegelman have asked a federal judge to change the answer he gave to a question from jurors last week.
Jurors had asked how they should view a campaign contribution in a bribery charge.
Siegelman attorney Vince Kilborn says prosecutors filed a sealed motion asking US District Judge Mark Fuller to explain to jurors that they do not have to find that Siegelman received any personal benefit from campaign contributions.
Siegelman is accused of receiving the contributions to his 1999 campaign for a lottery after he allegedly bribed former HealthSouth CEO Richard Scrushy.
The motion filed yesterday was sealed.
That means it does not appear in the official case file and is not available for review by news reporters or the public.
Chief prosecutor Louis Franklin says he can not say anything about the motion because it is sealed.
He chastised defense attorneys for commenting on it.
The judge did not call jurors back for further instructions on their question, indicating he had not granted the motion.
Jurors wrapped up their fourth day of deliberations Tuesday without reaching a verdict.
On trial with Siegelman and Scrushy are Siegelman's former chief of staff, Paul Hamrick, and his state transportation director, Mack Roberts.