A Lowndes county family is starting the new year off without any of the comforts of home. Fire destroyed their mobile home in the Gordonsville community Wednesday night. It left a mother, daughter, and five grandchildren to fend for themselves.
You can still see smoke rising from the roof. Homeowner Mary Ann Mitchell says the fire destroyed everything.
"It's been a bad luck new year for me," she said.
Mitchell was at work in Montgomery when her daughter called to say her home of 15 years was gone.
"I don't know how it started. Maybe wiring. I don't know," Mitchell said.
"It's a major set back," said her daughter, Latoya Mitchell. "All we can do is try to get it back and do better."
Latoya Mitchell lives with her mother, along with her five children. Not only were their clothes, furniture, and appliances destroyed, their Christmas gifts are gone, too. The family was waiting to celebrate the holiday together.
"Yeah, all my kids' Christmas gifts were destroyed. They didn't even get a chance to open them," Mary Ann said.
But at the same time, she's thankful no lives were lost.
"I'm just glad no one was there when it caught on fire. That's the most important thing," she said.
The Mitchells are staying with family members as they prepare for the first day of school Monday. They are receiving assistance from the American Red Cross.