- To get a balanced diet, eat a variety of foods. Choose foods from each of the five major food groups:
--breads, cereals and other grain products
-- meat, poultry and fish
-- milk, cheese and yogurt
- Limit the number of snacks that you eat. Each time you eat food that contains sugars or starches, the teeth are attacked by acids for 20 minutes or more.
- If you do snack, choose nutritious foods, such as cheese, raw vegetables, plain yogurt, or a piece of fruit.
- Foods that are eaten as part of a meal cause less harm. More saliva is released during a meal, which helps wash foods from the mouth and helps lessen the effects of acids.
- Brush twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste that has the
American Dental Association Seal of Acceptance