Someone Else's Property

No, you should see your primary care physician or another medical doctor, since your injuries may be more severe than you think. You may also want to consult with an attorney to determine if you have a claim against the landowner.

You should also be aware that floor or ground conditions may change, and you may need to preserve or record the condition that caused your injury (typically with a photograph or videotape). In addition, every state has a "statute of limitations" which limits the time you have to act. Some states require you to give notice to certain types of landowners, such as municipalities, within as little as 30 to 90 days of the incident. If you do not give the required notice, or sometimes file a claim or lawsuit within the time set by law of the state in which the injury occurred, you lose your ability to recover from the landowner. If your injuries turn out to be more severe than they first appear, you'd be in trouble.

If you have a valid claim against the landowner for your injuries, delay may be fatal to your claim. You should act quickly to evaluate your options.

(Copyright 2001 All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, rewritten, or redistributed.)