Stranger Moves In While Homeowner is on Vacation - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Stranger Moves In While Homeowner is on Vacation

A Pennsylvania woman returned from vacation last week and made a startling discovery.

In her absence someone moved into her house and made himself at home.

"My air conditioner was on, my TV was on, and there was somebody on my sofa that I did not know," said the woman, who doesn't want to be identified.

The woman returned home Saturday from a two-day vacation and said an unwelcome houseguest was making himself right at home while she was gone.

"I just opened the door and I was in shock and I ran next door and I said, 'Someone's on my couch.' It was like a movie do you know what I mean?" the woman said.

"He was vacationing in her home," Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood said.

Chitwood said 41-year-old William Lott was the one living in her Drexel Hill home, doing his laundry and eating her food.

"Terrible, terrible, I just went down today and cleaned my washing machine with Clorox," the woman said.

Chitwood said luckily Lott was sleeping when the woman came home.

"This guy is a career criminal. He's been in and out of jail, who knows what he would have done had that lady would have walked in," Chitwood said.

Lott had been living on Abbey Terrece in Drexel Hill with his parents.

His mother, Florence, said he disappeared a week ago and has a history of drug problems.

She said the families knew each other since Lott was a young boy.

"Terribly sorry that he did it but it's not my fault he did that. He's a grown adult but my heart goes out to her," Florence Lott said.

"Thank God I wasn't here," the Drexel Hill woman said.

Relieved but still shaken, she said her home had been locked up while she was gone and she's still not sure how Lott made his way inside.

"At least he didn't steal stuff from me. I guess he would have if I didn't come home. I came home in the morning and I guess he didn't think I'd come home until night," the woman said.

Lott is in police custody being held on $20,000 cash bail.

He faces burglary and trespassing charges.

Upper Darby police said the most important thing to do when you're gone for vacation is to let a neighbor or police know you'll be gone so someone can keep an eye on your house.

Philip Roth, fearless and celebrated author, dies at 85

Wednesday, May 23 2018 12:03 AM EDT2018-05-23 04:03:23 GMT
    Wednesday, May 23 2018 7:14 AM EDT2018-05-23 11:14:50 GMT
    (AP Photo/Richard Drew, File). FILE - In this Sept. 8, 2008, file photo, author Philip Roth poses for a photo in the offices of his publisher, Houghton Mifflin, in New York. Roth, prize-winning novelist and fearless narrator of sex, religion and mortal...(AP Photo/Richard Drew, File). FILE - In this Sept. 8, 2008, file photo, author Philip Roth poses for a photo in the offices of his publisher, Houghton Mifflin, in New York. Roth, prize-winning novelist and fearless narrator of sex, religion and mortal...

Author of more than 25 books,  Philip Roth won virtually every literary honor, including the Pulitzer Prize for "American Pastoral."

US, South Korea work to keep North Korea summit on track

Wednesday, May 23 2018 12:44 AM EDT2018-05-23 04:44:27 GMT
    Wednesday, May 23 2018 7:14 AM EDT2018-05-23 11:14:42 GMT
    (AP Photo/Evan Vucci). President Donald Trump meets with South Korean President Moon Jae-In in the Oval Office of the White House, Tuesday, May 22, 2018, in Washington.(AP Photo/Evan Vucci). President Donald Trump meets with South Korean President Moon Jae-In in the Oval Office of the White House, Tuesday, May 22, 2018, in Washington.

The June 12 summit, planned for Singapore, offers a historic chance for peace on the peninsula - but also the risk of an epic diplomatic failure that would allow the North to revive and advance its nuclear weapons program.

Bill rolling back Dodd-Frank regulations goes to Trump

Wednesday, May 23 2018 12:43 AM EDT2018-05-23 04:43:22 GMT
    Wednesday, May 23 2018 7:13 AM EDT2018-05-23 11:13:48 GMT
    (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite, File). FILE - This March 6, 2018, file photo shows the Capitol in Washington. Several Democrats facing tough re-elections this fall are joining solid Republican backing of an effort to alter some key aspects of the Dodd-F...(AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite, File). FILE - This March 6, 2018, file photo shows the Capitol in Washington. Several Democrats facing tough re-elections this fall are joining solid Republican backing of an effort to alter some key aspects of the Dodd-F...

Trump is one step from checking off another campaign promise, an overhaul of the landmark Dodd-Frank bill that grew out of the 2008 financial collapse.