Montgomery County, Al. (WSFA) -- Volunteer firefighters from Snowdoun, South Montgomery County and Rolling Hills Lakes volunteer fire departments responded to a Montgomery County house fire Tuesday afternoon.
The home, located on Rolling Hills Boulevard, is a total loss.
Investigators say the fire was likely started when an air conditioning unit malfunctioned.
Homeowner Shondra McKay tells WSFA 12 News her young son told her not to go to the back of the house because it was "real smokey".
McKay rushed to the rear of her home and saw smoke billowing from the house's roof.
She believed she had the situation under control when she turned off the house's main powersupply, but quickly realized the situation was escalating as the smoke turned a thick black color.