New information in fatal Shorter house fire - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

New information in fatal Shorter house fire

Mrs. Frizzel Mrs. Frizzel
Investigators believe Mrs. Frizzel died of smoke inhalation after her home caught fire. Investigators believe Mrs. Frizzel died of smoke inhalation after her home caught fire.

SHORTER, AL (WSFA) - An update on a sad story out of Macon County with the death of a retired teacher's aid

Willie Frizzel died when her home caught fire early Wednesday morning.

Neighbors realized the house was on fire when they saw flames burning through from the attic.

Investigators say Frizzell died from smoke inhalation.

Ms. Frizzel was in her mid 80's.

D.C. Wolfe Elementary School principal Mason McDade described Frizzell as friendly, compassionate and easy going.

"She touched a lot of lives," McDade said, "and it was just such a shock going through the schools when we realized that she had passed."

He says that even though Mrs. Frizzell had retired years ago, she was still a regular guest at the school for special functions.

"Today we're having Grandparents Day. She would probably have come up though she does not have any grandchildren...they [students] all consider her a grandmother or great grandmother anyway," McDade said.

The fire marshall's office says the blaze appears to have started accidentally.

Powered by Frankly