Clio, Ala. (WSFA) -- The childhood home of former four-term Alabama Governor George Wallace went up in flames Sunday around 11:00pm.
Despite firefighters best efforts the landmark was completely destroyed.
Ragan Ingram, a spokesman for the state fire marshal said Tuesday the fire will be ruled accidental. He told the Associated Press that investigators traced the origin of the blaze to an electrical problem in the kitchen.
The home was built in 1925 and was remodeled several times.
Plans were in the works to erect a monument in front of the home to signify its importance.
"The Barbour County governors trail was considering this, definitely considered this a point of interest in the governors trail, and was considering erecting a monument to commemorate it," said Clio Mayor Jack Pelfrey.
It also earned a spot on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage in 1975.
Including former Governor Wallace, Barbour County has been home to eight Alabama governors.